Re: [MOL] bi polar F.Y.I. [13178] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] bi polar F.Y.I.

 I SOMEHOW MISSED THE MESSAGE THAT PEOPLE ARE POSTING RESPONSES TO ,BUT IF
THIS IS A NEW PSYCHIATRIC DIAGNOSIS CONCOMMITANT WITH SYSTEMIC ILLNESS (
CANCER )HERE ARE A FEW THINGS F.Y.I.
  IN A STANDARD PSYCHIARTIC EXAMINATION A CLINICIAN WILL , AT THE LEAST , WANT
TO DETERMINE :
1. IS THE PATIENT SUFFERING FROM A MOOD DISORDER
2.IF SO , IS THIS MOOD DISORDER DEPRESSION
3.IF DEPRESSION , IS IT MELANCHOLOR ONE OF THE OTHER FORMS
4.IF DEPRESSION , IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH PSYCHOSIS, SIGNIFICANT RISK OF SUICIDE
,STUPOR, CATATONIA , OLD AGE OR HIGH RISK OF MEDICAL COMPLICATION
5.IF A MOOD DISORDER , IS IT MANIC LIKE IN CROSS SECTION OR LONGITUDINAL (
BIPOLAR)
6.IF BIPOLAR , IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH , PSYCHOSIS ,SIGNIFICANT EXCITEMENT ,
CATATONIA , ALCOHOLISM .
  TO GET TO THIS CLINICAL TREE , WHICH CAN BE NO SMALL TASK IN THE PRESENCE OF
SIGNIFICANT SYSTEMIC ILLNESS, IT IS IMPORTANT TO DIFFERENTIATE A DIAGNOSIS .
THEN THE TREE WILL LEAD YOU IN THE A SECOND DIAGNOSTIC PROCESS TO HELP IN
PATIENT MANAGEMENT AND BIOLOGICAL TREATMENT . THIS CAN ALSO BE MADE DIFFICULT
IN THE PRESENCE OF SIGNIFICANT SYSTEMIC ILLNESS . NOW RATHER THEN GOING ON TO
MAKE THE GRAY EVEN MORE GRAY LET ME LEAVE YOU WITH SOMETHING TO CONSIDER .
 IF THIS IS A CANCER PATIENT RECEIVING TREATMENT FOR A NEWLY DIAGNOSED
PSYCHIATRIC CONDITION, AN EVALUATION BY A NEUROLOGIST THAT YOUR ONCOLOGIST
KNOWS AND WORKS WITH SHOULD BE CONSIDERED .(RULING OUT ORGANIC DISEASE AND
TREATING THAT CONDITION IF IT IS FOUND AND IF POSSIBLETO TREAT ). IF IT IS A
PRE-EXISTING PSYCHIATRIC OR AN ORGANIC CONDITION THAT IS NOT TREATABLE,  A
PSYCHIATRIST THAT HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THESE CIRCUMSTANCES,  AT LEAST TO
CONSULT,WOULD HELP TO PROVIDE THE PERSON THE GREATEST CONTINUITY OF CARE.

DR. BOB'S WEB SITE COULD BE A SOURCE OF INFORMATION
HTTP://UHS.BSD.UCHICAGO.EDU/DR-BOB/MENTAL.HTML

AS I SAID AT THE BEGINNING , I MISSED THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE THAT PEOPLE ARE
REPLYING TO , SO IF THIS IS WAY OFF THE POINT  , PLEASE EXCUSE THE INTRUSION.
JOSEPH CANE