RE: [MOL] Corporate Health Care...Oxymoron of the 90's [13133] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Corporate Health Care...Oxymoron of the 90's

Dear John,

Your email reminded me of an incident that happened to my
brother last fall.  His two-year-old daughter was sick with the
flu, and had a particularily rough day, so in the evening he and
his wife were calling the Hopital and describing the situation
to them, that "she looks just awful--she hasn't been keeping any
liquids down."  The Doctor, instructed to keep emergency visits
down to a minimum--those that are really needed, invariably
replied "give her liquids and bring her in to see us in the morning."

After many calls to the Doctor, they couldn't stand it any longer
and took their daughter in to the emergency room anyways.
Two hours later she was dead.  I heard they were unable to get
an IV into her--(I really don't know much about this stuff.)

It was such a terrible shock.  Of course she was the sweetest
child that we'd ever known.  The Doctor himself was agonized
by what happened, and explained that it was due to HMO
policies.  I'm sorry, I'm passing this on as hearsay rather than
personal witness, so I may have a detail or two missing.  Of
course I was there for the funeral and so forth, but I wasn't there
to listen to the Doctor tell his side of the story.

There really does need to be limits on the Big Business aspects
of our medical care.

Love,

Ross