Re: [MOL] Re: Vicci [13083] Medicine On Line


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [MOL] Re: Vicci



Jean, thanks for jumping in on this...I felt a little funny bringing it
up, but thought it was important. Everything you say is true, and it is
such a painful way of life. My  first husband ended up a suicide due to
this disease, and as you know, the toll it takes on loved ones and
family is horrendous. thanks again. Love Joicy

Thomas A Johnson wrote:
> 
> Joicy,
> I'm so glad you wrote this to Vicci, because this occurred to me, too,
> when I read her latest e-mail message.  The bipolar disorder experience
> if often referred to as a "roller coaster type ride," because of the
> shift between the highs and lows.  From what I've read (Patty Duke wrote
> a book about her bipolar disorder), bipolars (or manic-depressives) shift
> (or cycle) at different rates of speed.  Some cycle fast - all within the
> same day!  Others can go months at one level (say, depression) and then
> they shift to another level (say, manic-behavior like spending money
> excessively, displaying risk-taking behavior, talking fast, etc., etc.).
> I won't claim to know a lot about the disorder, but I understand that the
> books written by Kay Redfield Jamison on the subject are quite good.  One
> of the books I picked up at a yardsale this weekend for my brother (who
> might be bipolar like my dad was) is Moodswing, by Dr. Ronald r. Fieve.
> The woman running the yardsale was bipolar and she said it's a very good
> book on the subject.
> 
> I agree w/Joicy, though, that an evaluation by a psychiatrist may be in
> order.  The description you used brought bipolar disorder to my mind,
> too.    And read that book by Patty Duke on her experience with the
> disorder.  The chapters alternate between her own experience (with a
> severe case of it) and basic information about the disorder and the
> various types of it.  Apparently, some people have milder swings in mood
> than do others.  And the mania can show itself in many different ways.
> And people cycle at different rates of speed.  I think people can behave
> grandiose when they're manic, too.  But I suspect Joicy knows a great
> deal more about bipolar disorder than I do.  This is all pretty new to
> me.  I am just grateful, grateful, grateful, that I inherited only the
> depression and obsessive worrying!
> 
> Oh, another thing.  In the description on the back of this Moodswing
> book, it says the book covers (among other things):  "How manic
> depression, alcoholism, and substance abuse go hand in hand."
> Apparently, undiagnosed manic-depressives tend to self-medicate
> themselves with alcohol and/or other drugs, like my dad did.
> 
> -Jean
> P.S.  One other thing.  I agree completely w/Joicy that manic-depressives
> can be so-o-o charming.  A judge once told my mother that dad was the
> best con-artist he'd ever seen.  My dad, bless his soul, was very
> polished and quite a smooth talker (sometimes).  No doubt about it.
> That's why we clung to him so long, despite the abuse - because it took
> us a long time to realize that pretty words don't mean much without good
> actions to back them up!
> 
> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:57:31 -0400 Joicy Becker-Richards
> <joicy@erols.com> writes:
> >Hi, Vicci...part of the intensity of his moods may be his youth or
> >lack
> >of maturity, but it occurs to me that it might be more than that. You
> >may want to have him evaluated for bi-polar disorder (used to be
> >called
> >manic depression). I have been around a lot of this, and I have
> >wondered
> >since you first started sharing your challenges with him if this might
> >not be an element (I used to be married to one, and yes, they can be
> >very charming!). Just a thought, because it sounds like the cancer is
> >just one small part of his battle. Love, Joicy
> >
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically-generated notice.  If you'd like to be removed
from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion Forum
at <http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html>, or send an email message to:
majordomo@lists.meds.com
with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the line:
unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address
where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email
address.
------------------------------------------------------------------------