Re: [MOL] Have you heard of this? [12974] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Have you heard of this?

SheilaSims@aol.com wrote:

> My brother, with newly diagnosed lung cancer, non small cell, stage 111b, is
> deteriorating so fast--20pounds weight loss past month. Started chemo, one
> round, but had such pain in ribs--other side from the tumor mass I think.
> They have just told my sister-in-law that the cancer(tumor?) cracked a rib-
> thus the pain.
> Now saying 2 to 6 mo. versus 6-12.  And all this since feeling some back pain
> and alittle weaker only about 6 weeks ago.  They said it must have been
> growing for a long time.  Have you heard about the cracked rib from cancer?--I
> think bone scan just taken doesn't show metastasis to the bone. I am soooo sad
> and mad.
> Sheila S.
Dear Shiela,

My husband has non small cell lung cancer that has metastised to the
chest cavity and the ribs.  Yes I have heard of the ribs cracking
because of cancer.  My husband thought he pulled a muscle before he
was diagnosed, and I was rubbing his back every night thinking it
was a pulled muscle, when actually he had cracked his rib lifting
something.  Of course we didn't know he had cancer at the time.

My husband has had three rounds of chemo (Taxol & Carboplatin), and
is scheduled for three more.  He is not in any pain, although he
has developed a cold in the last couple of days, and has been
coughing a lot more.

The doctors have not given him a survival estamate.  I guess thats
a good thing.  How old is your brother-in-law?

My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.  Feel free to e-mail
me with any questions, and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

God Bless,
Mary