Re: [MOL] PLEASE HELP:Need Information ... [12903] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] PLEASE HELP:Need Information ...

Dear Apala:  Was truly sorry to hear that your mother had just returned to her home country and got all this unwanted new's.  I know you must be devestated and I am glad we have been able to help you to some degree.  Know we are here to help you in any way possible.  It is my understanding that trials charge a fee and that some insurance companie do not cover this fee.  Now were your mother a citizen of the U.S. a hospital would have to accept and treat your mother free of charge if she is unable too.  I will have further down this page  some sites; etc. for you to go too and hopefully we can get something going. Your friend, Lillian American Association of Health Plans
Membership Department
129 20th Street NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
(202)778-3200
Web site: http://www.aahp.org/
Insurance industry trade association that will provide information on insurance and health care issues.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
675 North St. Claire Street
Chicago, IL 60601
(312)440-6000

Department of Health and Human Services
Inspector General Hotline
Office of the Inspector General
P.O. Box 23489
Washington, DC 20026
(800)368-5779
U.S. government hotline for complaints regarding Medicare or Medicaid; provides assistance with issues of entitlements, benefits, insurance, and community resources.

Disabled American Veterans
807 Main Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202)554-3501
(202)554-3581 FAX
Web site: http://www.dav.org/
Provides assistance with health benefits for U.S. veterans.

Hill-Burton Free Hospital Care
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7-47
Rockville, MD 20857
(800)683-0742 Hotline
(301)594-5999 FAX
Web site: http://www.hrsa.dhhs.gov/bhrd/dfcr/dfcrmain.htm
U.S. government program that can arrange for cost-assisted care for disadvantaged individuals at certain medical facilities or hospitals.

National Insurance Consumer Hotline
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
(800)942-4242
Provides assistance in finding insurance coverage, information on insurance issues and a consumer complaint service.

                                            SUPPORT SERVICE TRAVEL

                                             Support Services: Hair Loss

Look Good, Feel Better
The American Cancer Society
(800)395-LOOK
Teaches women who have undergone cancer treatment how to improve appearance through cosmetics, wigs, scarfs, etc.

Y-ME WIG
212 West Van Buren Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60607
(800)221-2141
(312)294-8598 FAX
Web site: http://www.y-me.org/
Provides donated wigs free of charge.

Apala Chandola wrote:

Hi All,

My mother, who was diagnosed with ascending colon cancer with liver metastassis,
underwent a surgery to remove part of her colon and then the Docs reconnected
the two ends. According to the Doctors, in case of reoccurrence another surgery
cannot be done. On the other front, the liver prognosis is poor as 70% of the
liver is damaged(both lobes involved). Docs cannot do anything to the liver
but will try giving her Chemotherapy if she is able to withstand it. My Mom,
who otherwise is a very courageous woman has been taking all this bravely, so
far. Not to forget that she was found severely anemic with a very high blood
sugar at the time of diagnosis.

My mother was here in US with me until 3 weeks ago without showing any obvious
symptoms regarding this illness. This was diagnosed once she reached back
in India. I wish, I had taken her to a Doctor despite of her denials
to go and see one, when just 4-5 days before she left, she came down with
temperature. Thinking that this was just a viral thing, she took some
tylenol and took rest. Over the last two days she didn't get any fever,
although felt weak and fatigued. Noone can imagine how much I
regret for that one time when I listened to her and didn't go to the
Doctor ...

However, this forum has been a great help to me emotionally and has
directed me to different sources of information regarding my Mom's
condition, my heart really goes out to you all. Wish all of your the very
best in life.

Since I would like to seek possibilities to get alternate treatments for my Mom
or have her evaluated as a candidate for clinical trials here in US (pref
in NY or CA), I would like to know if any hospitals/clinics (Govt or Pvt)
have any type of free or subsidized cost methods for these clinical trials or
treatments (even for radiation and chemo) ? FYI, my Mom still is a non-resident
and may be able to come here as a visitor for now, although I am a US resident.

You all are pretty knowledgeable friends and some of you may have gone through
this process as well.
Is there a way my Mom can get an insurance here which can cover at least half of
the cost of her treatment ? Since, most of the insurances do not cover
pre-existing conditions, are there any that do ?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Rgds,
Apala