[MOL] Elevated liver tests. [12838] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Elevated liver tests.

I regret that it has taken me so long to get this information to you; however I did have to research and we were very busy on line today.  I would first like to cover a few things with you.  Having cancer is something bad; but if we work on it we are really able to turn it around and make something good out of the bad.  I am concerned that you have gone through surgery, chemo and radiation without the help of a support group.  Cancer is just something very difficult to get through alone and in support groups we can learn so much about our illness, acquire the knowledge of new treatments (there were 300 and some last year alone), be with people who truly understand and regain our confidence when we see all those people with cancer and they have survived.  I hope that you will stay on line, we would love to have you with us and believe me you this is one wonderful group of people, with the softest of shoulders and the biggest hearts there are.  Keep up with your vitamins and know that we are here for you anytime you need us.  Your friend, Lillian American Association of Health Plans
Membership Department
129 20th Street NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
(202)778-3200
Web site: http://www.aahp.org/
Insurance industry trade association that will provide information on insurance and health care issues.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
675 North St. Claire Street
Chicago, IL 60601
(312)440-6000

Department of Health and Human Services
Inspector General Hotline
Office of the Inspector General
P.O. Box 23489
Washington, DC 20026
(800)368-5779
U.S. government hotline for complaints regarding Medicare or Medicaid; provides assistance with issues of entitlements, benefits, insurance, and community resources.

Disabled American Veterans
807 Main Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202)554-3501
(202)554-3581 FAX
Web site: http://www.dav.org/
Provides assistance with health benefits for U.S. veterans.

Hill-Burton Free Hospital Care
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7-47
Rockville, MD 20857
(800)683-0742 Hotline
(301)594-5999 FAX
Web site: http://www.hrsa.dhhs.gov/bhrd/dfcr/dfcrmain.htm
U.S. government program that can arrange for cost-assisted care for disadvantaged individuals at certain medical facilities or hospitals.

National Insurance Consumer Hotline
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
(800)942-4242
Provides assistance in finding insurance coverage, information on insurance issues and a consumer complaint service.

                                            SUPPORT SERVICE TRAVEL

                                             Support Services: Hair Loss

Look Good, Feel Better
The American Cancer Society
(800)395-LOOK
Teaches women who have undergone cancer treatment how to improve appearance through cosmetics, wigs, scarfs, etc.

Y-ME WIG
212 West Van Buren Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60607
(800)221-2141
(312)294-8598 FAX
Web site: http://www.y-me.org/
Provides donated wigs free of charge. Keep clicking down friend.

Liver enzymes in blood can be elevated in many medical conditions.
Some examples include viral hepatitis, medication effects, alcoholic liver
damage, gallstone disease, cancer in the liver, excessive fat or iron in the liver
etc. Therefore it is difficult to directly answer your question regarding
relationship between elevated PSA and liver enzymes without more information.
                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regarding elevations of SGOT, and SGPT; let's note that the liver is basically a
"factory" that manufactures things like proteins and processes or destroys things
like medications. There are many enzymes used in these processes and SGOT
and SGPT are only two of them. However, they are two very important ones
and they are the ones with which the state of the liver is generally measured.

SGPT is fairly specific to the liver, whereas SGOT is found in other organs like
muscles. Therefore, it is important to note that elevated SGOT can sometimes
be seen after a good workout, when the muscles have been releasing and
transferring bio-chemicals. So we see that SGOT can be elevated just because
of intense muscular activity.

Another thing to remember is that these enzymes will rise when almost any drug
is taken by the patient. I have seen the SGPT go to two times normal when
patients take four tetracycline capsules!
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So to partly answer the question, I would say that almost all drugs are
somewhat "toxic" to the liver, in that there's a certain amount of work the liver
does to remove the drugs from the system. By convention, doctors will stop
medications if liver enzymes approach three times normal - just as a precaution.
                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But the most important consideration here that we should underline is that the
relative "liver toxicity" of anabolic steroids that are injectable and oil-based is
generally not a major consideration, because these compounds are basically
metabolized the same as the natural testosterone that is already in the body.
However, we may see liver enzyme increases just because the liver is working
to remove these steroids, the same as it does any other foreign chemical.

It's oral steroids, that are 17-alkylated, that are "liver toxic" or burden the liver
in a dose-related manner, and my experience is that the actual toxicity is
somewhat exaggerated. However, for patients on steroid therapy, I usually
recommend injectable steroids to reduce potential wear on the liver. And while
these aren't actually toxic in the truest sense of the word, I recommend
"cycling" therapeutically-used steroids, with breaks between cycles, to give the
liver a rest
                                   `~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I.nduction of liver enzymes

- is brought about by drugs and endogenous substances, such as hormones. Any given drug
preferentially induces one form of cytochrome P-450 or a particular set of P-450s.

- when caused by drugs, is pharmacologically important as a major source of drug interactions.
A drug may induce its own metabolism (metabolic tolerance) and that of other drugs catalyzed
by the induced P-450.

- can be caused by a wide variety of clinically useful drugs, such as phenytoin, isoniazid,
macrolide antibiotics, barbiturates, and carbamazepine.
Please be advised that the 181,000 references to elevated liver enzymes were more related to HIV, ALCHOL, Hepititis and then Drug related.  That any drug we take can cause the liver enzines to rise.  I believe this information will be a comfort to you and hopefully will put your mind at ease.  Sincerely, Lillian