Re: [MOL] Oncologist Appointment [12804] Medicine On Line

DonnaBind@aol.com wrote:

> What a day!  I got to my appointment (finally).  When I went to check in the
> first words out of the secretary's moth was that my HMO never sent the
> referral.  The HMO set this whole thing up.  What gives?  I had to walk to a
> pay phone and call the HMO to have them fax the referral over.  Anyway....
>
> This is the scoop.  I liked this oncologist. He really check me over.  He is
> certain that it has not spread to brain, liver, etc....by CT scans and exam.
> He thinks this was primary but has requested a pelvic CT scan to be certain.
> That is the only test he he suggested.
>
> Lowdown.......No surgery (he agreed with Hopkins surgeon).  Radiation and
> chemo first thing.  Along with Taxall and something else. Starting as soon as
> next week. He said that I would have trouble swallowing towards the 4-5 week
> due to the esophagus being exposed.  In fact, in all liklihood I would not be
> able to eat solid foods for a few weeks.  It would heal itself over time.
> Then he explained chemo complications, etc... I explained to him I was looking
> into stereotactic radiosurgey.  He did not seem positive on that however, that
> was the only thing he said that I did not like.  Very small chance that tumor
> would shrink small enough to be surgically removed.  And even then a very
> short window of opportunity to remove immediately following radiation and
> chemo due to scar tissue build-up after radiation.
>
> Now he did not go there, but I did. What about prognosis? 1 year without
> treatment, an additional 6 months to a year with treatment.  Although he said
> some people go on to live 3-5 years.  He asked if I wanted statistics and I
> said NO! He said good because he does not believe in them.
>
> My 2 older children are going down to the beach to stay with my father(he
> lives there) over the wekend.  My husband and our 3 year old  will join them
> on Sunday.  We were only going to stay Sunday and come home Sunday evening.  I
> have decided to stay until Monday and maybe even Tuesday.  Although he has
> said next week.  I have decided to a) see one more oncologist b) wait to hear
> from SIUH about radiosurgery c) check out the University of Virgina d) info
> provided by others and last but not least meditate and pray on all of this.
> Then and only then do I feel I can make a positive and informed decision.
>
> Any information and/or guidance you may be able to offer would be most
> appreciated.
>
> A friend to all of you molers,
>
> Donna

Dear Donna,

I admire how well you are taking all of this.  You are very brave.
My husband has non small cell lung cancer and it has metastised
to the chest cavity and ribs.  I call Dr. Lederman and he returned
my call (while I was at work of course!), but I was impressed that
he himself called me back.  He had sent a video and paperwork
explaing the procedure.  We are to send him copies of CT Scans and
x-rays.  I just got off the phone with Missouri Babtist, where my
husband gets his treatments, and told them I needed copies of these
test.  They said they would mail them out as soon as possible.

Now as for prognosis, my husband has not asked the doctors how long
they think he has, but I have considered asking.  Do you think I
should?

My prayers are with you,
God Bless,
Mary