RE: [MOL] Opinion & Status/Emmett [12799] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Opinion & Status/Emmett

Hi Emmet,

Like you, my side effects for treatment of my cancer have been
minimul.  It sounds like you have been though a lot, and I admire
your positive attitude, in spite of that.

Your comment on the relationship between state of mind and
resistance to side-effects is interesting, and my reaction goes
something like: "well, its easy for you and I to have a positive
state of mind--after all, we aren't throwing up everytime we
take the smallest dose of oral medication that we so need."

I can't help but wonder "how much does the chicken and
the egg argument come into play here?"  Are we able to
think positively because we aren't weak and run-down from
nasea, lack of nourishment, or are we not weak and run-down
and lacking nourishment because we've had a positive
frame of mind?

I've had people comment that they admire my ability to laugh
and joke about my dilima, but my reply usually is: "thank you,
I guess its easier for me because I've been unusually lucky
in dealing with my treatments."  I think how hard it would be
to be as sick as some people get--when the only way they
can survive is by taking their nutrition intravenously, laying in
a hospital bed for weeks on end.

And on the other hand, I strongly believe that positive attitude
helps profoundly in fighting cancer.  I know an old woman
who has insisted for years that she's going to die any day
now.  Through all of her gloomy vision, she has finally come
to the point now where she can walk no longer, and is
confined to a wheelchair.  She's nearly 100 years old, and
her mind is sharp as a whip, but she's mentally and physically
given up.

Wow, this must be boring.  Marty, the other day, praised
Lillian's ability to say her piece in fewer words.  Now I've
got to appologize and shut up, or this could go on for days.

That's the nice thing about MOL, it feels good to say your
piece--who else would listen to this dribble?

Love,

Ross