[MOL] Oncologist Appointment [12694] Medicine On Line

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[MOL] Oncologist Appointment

What a day!  I got to my appointment (finally).  When I went to check in the
first words out of the secretary's moth was that my HMO never sent the
referral.  The HMO set this whole thing up.  What gives?  I had to walk to a
pay phone and call the HMO to have them fax the referral over.  Anyway....

This is the scoop.  I liked this oncologist. He really check me over.  He is
certain that it has not spread to brain, liver, etc....by CT scans and exam.
He thinks this was primary but has requested a pelvic CT scan to be certain.
That is the only test he he suggested.
Lowdown.......No surgery (he agreed with Hopkins surgeon).  Radiation and
chemo first thing.  Along with Taxall and something else. Starting as soon as
next week. He said that I would have trouble swallowing towards the 4-5 week
due to the esophagus being exposed.  In fact, in all liklihood I would not be
able to eat solid foods for a few weeks.  It would heal itself over time.
Then he explained chemo complications, etc... I explained to him I was looking
into stereotactic radiosurgey.  He did not seem positive on that however, that
was the only thing he said that I did not like.  Very small chance that tumor
would shrink small enough to be surgically removed.  And even then a very
short window of opportunity to remove immediately following radiation and
chemo due to scar tissue build-up after radiation. 

Now he did not go there, but I did. What about prognosis? 1 year without
treatment, an additional 6 months to a year with treatment.  Although he said
some people go on to live 3-5 years.  He asked if I wanted statistics and I
said NO! He said good because he does not believe in them.  

My 2 older children are going down to the beach to stay with my father(he
lives there) over the wekend.  My husband and our 3 year old  will join them
on Sunday.  We were only going to stay Sunday and come home Sunday evening.  I
have decided to stay until Monday and maybe even Tuesday.  Although he has
said next week.  I have decided to a) see one more oncologist b) wait to hear
from SIUH about radiosurgery c) check out the University of Virgina d) info
provided by others and last but not least meditate and pray on all of this.
Then and only then do I feel I can make a positive and informed decision. 

Any information and/or guidance you may be able to offer would be most

A friend to all of you molers,

This is an automatically-generated notice.  If you'd like to be removed
from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion Forum
at <http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html>, or send an email message to:
with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the line:
unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address
where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email