Re: [MOL] Jean and others - Persian Herb Stew recipe [12639] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Jean and others - Persian Herb Stew recipe

Hi, Liz G, it's Jeanne, Thanks for the great recipes, we will shop for them
when Cathy (21) finishes her summer course next week. She is taking a
modern art course (required) and at the beginning was sure she would have a
difficult time as she hated it. She is a fine arts history major. (Yea, I
know,  what will she do - teach?)
She cooks and gardens for her room and board and works part time. The
French Immersion program she was enrolled in was great and the exchange
program sent the kids all over the place at a very modest price, Cathy
always picked the oddball places like Egypt and Russia. Anyway, turns out
James (hubby) knows her art instructor as they roomed together just after
high school. James said that he wanted to teach art as he wanted to spend
his life looking at young chicks! Did it too. How many of us reach our
adolescent goals!

Have you been to Japan? Do you know your ancestors there?

At 11:59 PM 7/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Jean,
>I too have one daughter, she's 11.  How old is Cathy?  You did say she was
>in college?  How wonderful that she was able to spend time in Japan and learn
>a new culture!  I hope my Elissa will as fortunate!  What is Cathy's major?
>
>I'm not a good cook but I enjoy to eat a variety!  My mom is Japanese but
it's
>only recently that I've started to take interest in learning to cook!  If
I had a
>craving for Japanese food I would just go to my mom's to eat!  When Elissa
>was in 2nd grade she told her teacher that her favorite food was her
grandma's
>rice and miso soup.  So, I decided I ought to learn how to make it for her
too!

>Here's the 2 different Persian Herb Stew recipes that I found but haven't
tried:

>GHORMEH-SABZI  (Herb/Vegetable Stew)
>(By Mrs. Soheila Amiri)
>
>(4 servings)
>
>Ingredients
>1 bunch Fresh Spinach
>1/2 bunch Fresh Dill
>1 bunch Fresh Parsley
>1 bunch Fresh Cilantro or Coriander
>1 bunch Fresh Leek (only stems)
>1 bunch Fresh Chives or Scallions
>1 bunch Fresh Fenugreek or (substitute 1 T of dried Fenugreek)
>1 lb. stew meat (beef or lamb) cubed
>4 dried lemons (limoo amAnee) or,
>1 table spoon dried lemon powder (gard-e leemo amAnee).
>1 medium Onion, finely diced
>1/2 tsp. turmeric
>3 Tb cooking oil
>1 Tb lemon juice (optional).
>1 cup dried kidney or black eyed beans, pre-soaked
>Dash of salt, pepper and crushed red peppers (if you like it spicy)
>
>Note: Fenugreek and dried lemon may only be available at Middle Eastern
markets.

>Directions
>Trim fat from meat, wash and drain.
>Cut off the bulbs of the leeks, chives, scallions and put the stems along
with the rest of greens in a strainer, thoroughly wash and drain them.
Finely chop the greens (may use food processor).  Place the chopped greens
in a pot, set on high heat and frequently stir the greens until all excess
water has evaporated. Add two table spoons of cooking oil and continually
stir fry the greens until they turn brownish. (This should take about 15
min.) Take the pot off heat and put it aside. During the stir fry process,
you may add a bit more oil if needed.  When finished, the greens resemble
dried ones with no water remaining in the pot.
>In another pot, add about one table spoon of cooking oil and the chopped
onions and stir fry until they turn a golden brown color. Add the meat,
stir fry for a few minutes, add salt, pepper and turmeric and let the meat
fry with the onions for a few minutes. At this point drain the beans and
add them to the mixture. Turn the heat setting to medium.
>Next poke a hole in each of the dried lemons and add them to the mixture
(or add the powdered kind). Add two cups of water, place the lid on the pot
and let it boil for another 15 minutes.
>Add the fried greens into the mixture, turn the heat setting to medium-low
and let it cook. The cooking time required from this point on is about an
hour. When the meat is tender and separates easily with a fork, the stew is
ready. This stew is served over white basmati rice.
>If you like the sour taste, you may add a table spoon of lemon juice
towards the end of cooking.

>Hints:
>When stir frying, its imperative to constantly stir the greens. Otherwise,
they quickly form a crust and burn. If they look watery stir fry them a bit
longer. If your stew ends up having a bitter taste, you more than likely
burned the greens. If it smells like henna, you added too much spinach. You
can't recover from these two mishaps. If the greens and the meat seem to go
in separate directions, you've undercooked it. Put in back on medium heat
and let some of the excess water evaporate.

>Khoresht-e Ghormeh Sabzi  (Mixed Herb Stew)
>(Recipe Prepared By: Shaida)
>
>Ingredients
>            120g (4 oz) red kidney or black-eyed beans
>            30g (l oz) fresh fenugreek or 2 tablespoons dried
>            150g (5 oz) parsley
>            l00 g (4 oz) coriander or parsley
>            180g (6 oz) spring onions or leeks
>            30g (l oz) dill (optional)
>            360g (12 oz) boned leg of lamb
>            1 medium onion
>            2 tablespoons dried lime powder
>            4 whole dried limes
>            salt
>            juice of 2 lemons or 4 if dried limes are not available
>

>Directions
>1.	If using red kidney beans, leave to soak for several hours, preferably
overnight.  Then boil fast for ten minutes, drain and rinse well, Put to
one side.

>2.	Clean and wash the herbs, removing coarse stems, drain and shake dry.
Chop finely.

>3.	Fry the herbs (sprinkling in the crushed dried fenugreek leaf if using)
in a little oil over a moderate heat, turning constantly, adding more oil
when necessary until the herbs begin to darken (about 30-40 minutes).
Remove from heat and keep on one side.

>4.	Trim and cut the meat into large pieces, 6-7 cm (21/2 in), wash and
leave to soak while you slice and fry the onion until soft and golden.  Add
the drained meat and brown well on all sides.

>5.	Stir in the herbs.  Add the beans, lime powder and enough water to
cover.  Cover the pan and simmer gently for an hour.

>6.	Pierce the dried limes in several places with a sharp knife and add
along with the dried lime powder and salt.

>7.	Simmer gently for a further hour or until the meat and beans are tender
and the whole sauce well blended.  Add lemon juice to taste.