RE: [MOL] Insurance Companies [12442] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Insurance Companies

Nanc:
I, too, thought that clinical trials were supposed to be free.  However, the
Dr at Memorial Sloan Kettering said that my Dad's insurance won't pay for
it.  The meds are ok because they will be administered to him here at our
local hospital and not in NYC.  Could it be because it is an HMO?  I will
have to do some more investigating.  Even my Dad's primary care physician
called my Mom on the day before his appointment to let them know that only
the 2nd opinion consultation is covered but that any care he gets at
Memorial will not be...Does this sound wierd?  The other thing that I
questioned was that here we were, at a state of the art cancer center, and
when I asked the doctor about alternative treaments to be used in conjuction
with conventional treatment, he dismissed it as "hogwash".  I would think
Memorial would be a little more open-minded - I was somewhat dissapointed.
Sorry to ramble...
Cathy