[MOL] Insurance Companies [12439] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Insurance Companies

Can any molers out there comment on how they dealt (or are dealing) with
their insurance company's refusal to pay for treatment at another
hospital?  I took my Dad to Memorial Sloan Kettering on Friday morning.
There is a clinical trial that he can participate in - but the doctor
wants to try 5FU with Mitomicin first (for two months).  Failing that,
my father is eligible to participate in a clinical trial that is being
conducted at Memorial.  However, his HMO, Kaiser Permanente, says they
will not cover this! What do you do?  Do you just rack up medical
charges and incur an unbelivable amount of debt?  There just has to be a
better way.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Cathy