Re: [MOL] *** U.S. medical journal in self-assessment [12416] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] *** U.S. medical journal in self-assessment

Dear Marty and Family,

Disclosure of financial interests in reporting research findings has been
the standard of mostly all reputable journals.  Researchers are REQUIRED
by regulation to report ANY interests in private companies...wheather
personal or family.  A decision is then made by the research orginization
to permit the researcher to proceed with a project, divest
himself/herself from the private company, or assign it to some one else,
or create some level of review and supervision to assure the integrety of
the work.

Misconduct and Conflict of Interest regulations have been in force in the
United States for about eight years now and have been refined and
strengthened over the years.  These regulations are not just a "paper
cover".  About a scientist a week is found to be in violation and is
bared from Federal Funding for three to five years.  These proceedings
are circulated among the research community and there is a listing
maintained by the Feds of those found guilty of misconduct.  Anyone
interested can go to http://silk.nih.gov/public/cbzlbje.@www.orilist.html

The research in the United States is some of the finest in the world
because of the oversite and controls that have been put in place.  True,
it may move slower than some would like...it does move forward however
and the results are reliable and solid for the most part.  I think that,
to suggest that solutions to disease are being withheld because of some
monitary gain is ludicrous...a scientist stands to be rewarded richly for
discoveries both professionally and financially!

Just some thoughts on a subject that I've seen jabs taken at from time to
time...thoughts from someone working in the research environment.  I'm
wide open to rebutals, thoughts, comments...but no criticism - I cry
easely ;+)

God Bless
John