Re: [MOL] colon cancer chemotherapy [12412] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] colon cancer chemotherapy

My heart goes out for you and your sister.  Not living close makes it even harder on you.  Pls. know that we will do all we can to help you through your sister's journey.  I have attached sites that will give you the medical answer's you need and advise you to go into trials and archives.  There are some good medications to takes for nausea  Zophran is one.  Did her doctor prescribe any medication for nausea?  What type of doctor is she seeing?  She also needs to build her immune system up; as chemo. reduces the immune system.  Perhaps if she stayed away from dairy  products this would help her also.  Many patients drink Ensure + and plenty of water , say 1 gal. per day.  If you need more help pls. know we are here for you.  Your friend, Lillian American Association of Health Plans
Membership Department
129 20th Street NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
(202)778-3200
Web site: http://www.aahp.org/
Insurance industry trade association that will provide information on insurance and health care issues.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
675 North St. Claire Street
Chicago, IL 60601
(312)440-6000

Department of Health and Human Services
Inspector General Hotline
Office of the Inspector General
P.O. Box 23489
Washington, DC 20026
(800)368-5779
U.S. government hotline for complaints regarding Medicare or Medicaid; provides assistance with issues of entitlements, benefits, insurance, and community resources.

Disabled American Veterans
807 Main Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024
(202)554-3501
(202)554-3581 FAX
Web site: http://www.dav.org/
Provides assistance with health benefits for U.S. veterans.

Hill-Burton Free Hospital Care
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7-47
Rockville, MD 20857
(800)683-0742 Hotline
(301)594-5999 FAX
Web site: http://www.hrsa.dhhs.gov/bhrd/dfcr/dfcrmain.htm
U.S. government program that can arrange for cost-assisted care for disadvantaged individuals at certain medical facilities or hospitals.

National Insurance Consumer Hotline
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
(800)942-4242
Provides assistance in finding insurance coverage, information on insurance issues and a consumer complaint service.

                                            SUPPORT SERVICE TRAVEL

                                             Support Services: Hair Loss

Look Good, Feel Better
The American Cancer Society
(800)395-LOOK
Teaches women who have undergone cancer treatment how to improve appearance through cosmetics, wigs, scarfs, etc.

Y-ME WIG
212 West Van Buren Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60607
(800)221-2141
(312)294-8598 FAX
Web site: http://www.y-me.org/
Provides donated wigs free of charge.

Ohdonnado@aol.com wrote:

I need some answers please from anyone having experienced chemotherapy for
colon cancer.  My sister has had a surgerical resection of her colon removing
the ascending and half of her transecting colon.  Seven of the eight lymph
nodes were invaded but the surgeon did not think the liver showed visible
signs of invasion.  Since the end of May she has continued to lose weight and
has been unable to keep solid food down.  She started chemo with levamisole,
5-fu and leucovorinon a weekly basis.  She is again in the hospital with
dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea.  Surgeon says no abcess, Oncologist
says not from chemo....I live in another state and am unable to get any
answers.  Can anyone give us any answers or even any hope.......please e-mail
Ohdonnado @aol.com        God bless you.