[MOL] Jean and others - Persian Herb Stew recipe [12387] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Jean and others - Persian Herb Stew recipe

Jean,
I too have one daughter, she's 11.  How old is Cathy?  You did say she was
in college?  How wonderful that she was able to spend time in Japan and learn
a new culture!  I hope my Elissa will as fortunate!  What is Cathy's major?

I'm not a good cook but I enjoy to eat a variety!  My mom is Japanese but it's
only recently that I've started to take interest in learning to cook!  If I had a
craving for Japanese food I would just go to my mom's to eat!  When Elissa
was in 2nd grade she told her teacher that her favorite food was her grandma's
rice and miso soup.  So, I decided I ought to learn how to make it for her too!

Here's the 2 different Persian Herb Stew recipes that I found but haven't tried:

GHORMEH-SABZI  (Herb/Vegetable Stew)
(By Mrs. Soheila Amiri)

(4 servings)

Ingredients
1 bunch Fresh Spinach
1/2 bunch Fresh Dill
1 bunch Fresh Parsley
1 bunch Fresh Cilantro or Coriander
1 bunch Fresh Leek (only stems)
1 bunch Fresh Chives or Scallions
1 bunch Fresh Fenugreek or (substitute 1 T of dried Fenugreek)
1 lb. stew meat (beef or lamb) cubed
4 dried lemons (limoo amAnee) or,
1 table spoon dried lemon powder (gard-e leemo amAnee).
1 medium Onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp. turmeric
3 Tb cooking oil
1 Tb lemon juice (optional).
1 cup dried kidney or black eyed beans, pre-soaked
Dash of salt, pepper and crushed red peppers (if you like it spicy)

Note: Fenugreek and dried lemon may only be available at Middle Eastern markets.

Directions
Trim fat from meat, wash and drain.
Cut off the bulbs of the leeks, chives, scallions and put the stems along with the rest of greens in a strainer, thoroughly wash and drain them. Finely chop the greens (may use food processor).  Place the chopped greens in a pot, set on high heat and frequently stir the greens until all excess water has evaporated. Add two table spoons of cooking oil and continually stir fry the greens until they turn brownish. (This should take about 15 min.) Take the pot off heat and put it aside. During the stir fry process, you may add a bit more oil if needed.  When finished, the greens resemble dried ones with no water remaining in the pot.
In another pot, add about one table spoon of cooking oil and the chopped onions and stir fry until they turn a golden brown color. Add the meat, stir fry for a few minutes, add salt, pepper and turmeric and let the meat fry with the onions for a few minutes. At this point drain the beans and add them to the mixture. Turn the heat setting to medium.
Next poke a hole in each of the dried lemons and add them to the mixture (or add the powdered kind). Add two cups of water, place the lid on the pot and let it boil for another 15 minutes.
Add the fried greens into the mixture, turn the heat setting to medium-low and let it cook. The cooking time required from this point on is about an hour. When the meat is tender and separates easily with a fork, the stew is ready. This stew is served over white basmati rice.
If you like the sour taste, you may add a table spoon of lemon juice towards the end of cooking.

Hints:
When stir frying, its imperative to constantly stir the greens. Otherwise, they quickly form a crust and burn. If they look watery stir fry them a bit longer. If your stew ends up having a bitter taste, you more than likely burned the greens. If it smells like henna, you added too much spinach. You can't recover from these two mishaps. If the greens and the meat seem to go in separate directions, you've undercooked it. Put in back on medium heat and let some of the excess water evaporate.

Khoresht-e Ghormeh Sabzi  (Mixed Herb Stew)
(Recipe Prepared By: Shaida)

Ingredients
            120g (4 oz) red kidney or black-eyed beans
            30g (l oz) fresh fenugreek or 2 tablespoons dried
            150g (5 oz) parsley
            l00 g (4 oz) coriander or parsley
            180g (6 oz) spring onions or leeks
            30g (l oz) dill (optional)
            360g (12 oz) boned leg of lamb
            1 medium onion
            2 tablespoons dried lime powder
            4 whole dried limes
            salt
            juice of 2 lemons or 4 if dried limes are not available

Directions
1.	If using red kidney beans, leave to soak for several hours, preferably overnight.  Then boil fast for ten minutes, drain and rinse well, Put to one side.

2.	Clean and wash the herbs, removing coarse stems, drain and shake dry.  Chop finely.

3.	Fry the herbs (sprinkling in the crushed dried fenugreek leaf if using) in a little oil over a moderate heat, turning constantly, adding more oil when necessary until the herbs begin to darken (about 30-40 minutes).  Remove from heat and keep on one side.

4.	Trim and cut the meat into large pieces, 6-7 cm (21/2 in), wash and leave to soak while you slice and fry the onion until soft and golden.  Add the drained meat and brown well on all sides.

5.	Stir in the herbs.  Add the beans, lime powder and enough water to cover.  Cover the pan and simmer gently for an hour.

6.	Pierce the dried limes in several places with a sharp knife and add along with the dried lime powder and salt.

7.	Simmer gently for a further hour or until the meat and beans are tender and the whole sauce well blended.  Add lemon juice to taste.

8.	Serve warm over white basmati rice.