[MOL] Lillian and friends - Sushi Hand Rolls [12379] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Lillian and friends - Sushi Hand Rolls

Lillian,

Since you said you really don't have much of an appetite for food because of the meds,
I thought maybe a dish that is fun to make and visually interesting would be good.
Have you ever had sushi?
There are different types, but for beginners, the "hand rolls" are the easiest to make!
A "hand roll" is vinegared rice that is wrapped in a toasted seaweed sheet and has a filling
of vegetables and raw fish.  If you don't want the fish, you can have just vegetables!
The amount of each filling is up to you, so I'll  just list filling suggestions.

So, here goes...(this is also for all my MOL friends that have patience...)

Hand Rolls

Ingredients:

2 cups Japanese rice (short-grain)
1 package "Nori" toasted seaweed sheets (make sure it's specified for making sushi)
1  cup rice vinegar (type that is specifically for sushi)
soy sauce (low sodium)
wasabi (horseradish mustard, an optional spice)
non fat mayonnaise (optional)

Filling Suggestions:
1 organic cucumber, julienned (must have!)
broccoli sprouts (gotta have, its so good for you!)
asparagus, thinner baby-type, slightly cooked and julienned
carrots, slightly cooked, then julienned (should have!)
spinach, blanched
1 pkg shiso (a Japanese leafy green herb)
1 ripe avocado (dark thick skinned type), sliced thin
fresh tuna, sliced thin
crab meat, cooked and shredded (or imitation crab meat sticks)
smoked salmon
cooked shrimp
eel, sliced and teriyaki broiled

Cook rice per directions on package and fold in sushi vinegar per directions also.
Place a tablespoon of rice on seaweed and spread. Add any combo of filling,
for example, cucumber, broccoli sprouts, carrots crabmeat and avocado.

Roll the seaweed into a cone shape, dip into soy sauce (touch of wasabi in soy
sauce, if desired) and eat!  I hope I didn't forget anything!  Oh, you have to have green tea
with this of course!  Enjoy!  Liz Gioia