Re: [MOL] Jean DAte for Washington meeting [05984] Medicine On Line


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [MOL] Jean DAte for Washington meeting



Marty,

I'd be surprised if she could make it.  She will be just finishing up her
treatment sometime during September.  She plans to visit us near the end
of October.

-Jean
P.S.   I really enjoyed the latest Chicken Soup for the Soul you sent. 
It was great!

On Sat, 09 May 1998 20:02:43 -0700 Martin Auslander
<fitecancer@earthlink.net> writes:
>Dear Jean,
>
>
>
>The conference in Washington is the week of SEpt 26th, We have not 
>made
>
>plans as yet and not certain what dates we will arrive or stay. We 
>will
>
>be seeing many relatives in the Pennsylvania and Ohio area and 
>hopefully
>
>can connect with Lillian and John in New YOrk. I hope.  We will make
>
>every effort to see you as well, in fact we are looking forward to it.
>
>Do you think Annie can come as well? May be beneficial for all.
>
>
>
>God Bless
>
>marty
>
>
>
>Thomas A Johnson wrote:
>
>> 
>
>> Thanks, Marty.  I'll send your suggestion to her.  And I'm glad you
>
>> enjoyed the anecdoates about my kids.  They come up w/quite a few 
>funny
>
>> things!  I still laugh every time I pass by a Chinese restaurant at 
>the
>
>> mall.  I ate there w/Shannon and one of my friends when Shannon was 
>just
>
>> a baby.  I think she was wearing a dress w/diaper on.  Anyway, I 
>happened
>
>> to look down and see little pieces of chicken on the floor beneath 
>our
>
>> table.  As I bent to pick it up, though, I found it was actually
>
>> something much worse!  Something from Shannon's diaper!  I picked it 
>up,
>
>> then, very hurriedly and with a very red face!  Needless to say, I 
>didn't
>
>> return to that restaurant for quite awhile!  (Stop me if I've told 
>you
>
>> this one before!).
>
>> 
>
>> Oh!  And about stopping by to visit on your trip to that conference.
>
>> That sounds fine.  The conference is in Arlington, right?  I know 
>the
>
>> hotel.  I could meet you and Barb there or elsewhere.  Let me know.  
>And,
>
>> of course, it depends upon what day you'll be there, because it will 
>be
>
>> harder for me to meet with you on a school day.  Did you say you're
>
>> coming in May or June?
>
>> 
>
>> -Jean
>
>> 
>
>> On Thu, 07 May 1998 07:23:41 -0700 Martin Auslander
>
>> <fitecancer@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> >Dear Jean,
>
>> >
>
>> >A thought:  There is a drug called Ethyol generally given IV drip
>
>> >prior
>
>> >to administering the platin family of chemos so that it prevents 
>any
>
>> >kidney damage. It is new, say about a year, and my understanding is
>
>> >its
>
>> >a great preventative for kidney damage. Now I think Annie said she 
>was
>
>> >receiving other types of chemo than cisplatin or carboplatin, but 
>you
>
>> >may want to pass this onto Annie, the Ethyol, to see if that is a 
>drug
>
>> >that can be administered prior to her chemo to prevent kidney 
>damage.
>
>> >
>
>> >Take care and thanks for update.
>
>> >
>
>> >God Bless
>
>> >marty auslander
>
>> >
>
>> >
>
>> >Jean Johnson wrote:
>
>> >>
>
>> >> The latest info. from Annie:
>
>> >>
>
>> >> "Hi Everyone!
>
>> >>
>
>> >> Another first for me today - I changed the dressing over my 
>catheter
>
>> >ALL
>
>> >>
>
>> >> BY MYSELF.  It's not something I ever wanted to do, but it had to 
>be
>
>> >> done.  The most difficult part of the procedure is to maintain a
>
>> >sterile
>
>> >>
>
>> >> environment.  I had a package of sterile materials, and I had to 
>use
>
>> >> great care to only touch sterile stuff once I had on my sterile
>
>> >gloves.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> I was pretty sure I could do it, and I was right.  No problems.
>
>> >Just
>
>> >> had
>
>> >> to constantly be thinking about what was sterile and what wasn't 
>so
>
>> >that
>
>> >>
>
>> >> I didn't contaminate myself.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> The reason I had to change the dressing was that the nurse did 
>not
>
>> >do it
>
>> >>
>
>> >> properly on Monday.  She had put the edge of the gauze right 
>where
>
>> >the
>
>> >> catheter exits my body.  This caused a little bleeding because 
>the
>
>> >gauze
>
>> >>
>
>> >> kept hitting the exit site.  I also had some pain yesterday 
>whenever
>
>> >I
>
>> >> moved very much.  I was going to ask Dr. Comianos about it this
>
>> >> afternoon, but decided that I couldn't wait until then.  It feels
>
>> >much
>
>> >> better since I've changed it.  And now I don't have to be afraid 
>to
>
>> >> change it whenever I need to.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> Today is kinda a down day for me.  I don't feel like doing much 
>of
>
>> >> anything.  I think my problem is a lack of sleep.  I haven't had 
>a
>
>> >> decent
>
>> >> night's sleep since my chemo.  Last night I resorted to taking an
>
>> >> Ativan,
>
>> >> and I think that helped a little.  The Ativan is prescribed "as
>
>> >needed
>
>> >> for nausea", however it is a tranquilizer rather than an 
>anti-nausea
>
>> >> medication.  In the PDR, one use for the drug is listed as 
>"insomnia
>
>> >due
>
>> >>
>
>> >> to anxiety".  That fits.  I'm going to try it at bedtime for the
>
>> >rest of
>
>> >>
>
>> >> the week so see if I can get some rest.  It's hard for me to turn
>
>> >off my
>
>> >>
>
>> >> mind - just so much to think about these days.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> My eye hurts today too (map dot fingerprint corneal dystrophy), 
>so
>
>> >that
>
>> >> also brings me down.  Allergy season always aggravates this
>
>> >condition.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> Today is good day to veg out in front of the TV!
>
>> >>
>
>> >> Love,
>
>> >>         Annie"
>
>> >>
>
>> >> More from Annie later, too.  Turns out she went to the doctor's
>
>> >office
>
>> >> today and he gave her another blood pressure medicine (Cardura) 
>to
>
>> >take
>
>> >> because her blood pressure registered 156/98 (similar to the
>
>> >readings
>
>> >> she was getting at home).  The doctor prescribed the Cardura (1
>
>> >> mg./After 2 wks. increased to 2 mg./after  two more weeks 
>increased
>
>> >to 4
>
>> >> mg.) because he didn't want to increase her Accupril  any more 
>since
>
>> >> Accupril & chemo can affect the kidneys..  He didn't want to put 
>any
>
>> >> more burden on her kidneys.  Annie said she'll increase her 
>Rezulin,
>
>> >> too.  Her doctor wanted her to do that amonth ago, but she held 
>off.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> Annie said she is just so tired today that she can't even get
>
>> >herself
>
>> >> out to take a walk.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> -Jean
>
>> >> P.S.  I'm doing fine.  Keeping busy w/my meditation tape,
>
>> >mindfulness,
>
>> >> journaling,  and planning more activities w/my friends.  It's 
>very
>
>> >> obvious that Annie is doing a really good job of looking out for
>
>> >> herself, so I feel less stressed about her situation.  And, of
>
>> >course,
>
>> >> I'm still waiting to hear how Mom's second mammogram turns out.  
>But
>
>> >> otherwise, things here are moving along well.
>
>> >> Since my Netscape Navigator went down and I wasn't able to get my
>
>> >> Tidalwave mail for awhile, I thought I'd best inform you of my 
>other
>
>> >> e-mail address in case that happens again.  You can reach me at
>
>> >either
>
>> >> Tiggeroo@Tidalwave.net or JTJohnson@juno.com.
>
>> >>
>
>> >> --
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This is an automatically-generated notice.  If you'd like to be 
>removed
>from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion 
>Forum
>at <http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html>, or send an email message to:
>majordomo@lists.meds.com
>with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the 
>line:
>unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address
>where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email
>address.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

_____________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically-generated notice.  If you'd like to be removed
from the mailing list, please visit the Medicine-On-Line Discussion Forum
at <http://www.meds.com/con_faq.html>, or send an email message to:
majordomo@lists.meds.com
with the subject line blank and the body of the message containing the line:
unsubscribe mol-cancer your-email-address
where the phrase your-email-address is replaced with your actual email
address.
------------------------------------------------------------------------