[MOL] katiesGma/Susan [05915] Medicine On Line

[MOL] katiesGma/Susan

Susan, I wanted to answer you before I left for doctor....
>Thanks for the generous and compassionate offers of support.  I'll be leaningquite heavily on you all for a while, but, hopefully as I learn, I'll be ableto help others too.

Don't worry, you will... It will just start happening...

>Today is my first trip to an Oncologist.  I have done a lot of research; I have prepared a long list of questions; and I will have my Mom with me to beanother set of ears.  You could say:  I am ready!!!

Good preparation.  I am glad your mom will be with you, but still write or record those....
Then why am I so scared?I keep worrying about whether this doctor is really, really good or just OK. I wonder if he will really, really care about me, or will I just be anotherpatient.   In other words, I wonder how I will  know whether or not I'm getting the best possible care.
Go get  a second opinion regardless.  Very important before you let anyone direct you in the cancering journey...  Then you will know who is caring about you and seems the best for you and thats where you will be for your treatment...

>Should I seek a second opinion no matter what?  What do I do if one says one thing and the other says something different?  How do I know who is right?  And what if it takes another several weeks before I can see another doctor? Will I not be risking more by waiting?
Yes and a third or more if you need to..  This is not picking a doctor to treat you for a 24 hour flu.  If one and two disagree, that is why you go to three...  Of course there are also other places for you to call like NCI.   When you call for a second opinion and let let know your stage etc., they will work you in quickly.... Also be sure that you choose a doctor completely separate from the one you are seeing...  Ex:  If Doctor # 1 is primarily at one hospital... You may one to find Doctor #2 from a different one....  Make sure you are not getting the ol, I know him well and I am sure that what he is telling you is the right way....
>I know I'll find the right answers as I move forward.  But, thanks anyway for letting a control freak vent a little.
You are not a control freak anymore, you have become a cancering survivor on the cancering journey and that takes good management..... Good luck to day and let us know how it goes... Love, Carla