From: Angélica Navarro Serment <anavarro@campus.mty.itesm.mx>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 4:33 PM
Subject: [MOL] Information

>Hi!
>
>I would like to know the newest researchs about endostatin and
>angiostatin, cause I have a friend with cancer, and she heard about
>this... I promised her to get some clear information, like where to go,
>what to do, etc. (she lives in Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, so she can easily
>go to the States)
>
>Thank you in advance.
>

>Angelica Navarro Serment    Answers to   anavarro@campus.mty.itesm.mx

---- Begin included message ----
The various doctors that are involved in the discovery and research of
Endostatin/Angiostatin were on a question and answer hour long program
yesterday afternoon. In attendance were many oncology professionals,
survivors, caregivers and the questions were very direct, open some
argumentative and the answers were brilliant.

Basically the drugs Endostatin/Angiostatin from what I understood maybe
a possible cure, if works in humans, for most cancer diseases." The
studies on mice and rats is too inconclusive to determine whether this
will be beneficial for Lymphoma or Leukemia where there a primary tumor
is absent. That is not to say that it won't work. For now the tests have
been on cutting off the blood supply to the tumor and that has been
successfully concluded in mice. But further progresss may conclude that
it may work for all cancer cures"

The trials are to begin in say about one year. Now, the question is when
will it be available for treatment to human beings. Well the answer is
this, as the doctors have related:  "The testing begins in one year,
they  are not ready at this point for trials for human testing. Then
there has to be a time to study and to gain histology and history in
humans from the trials. That may be, sadly to say, another year or two
after" That is what I heard. So all in all, as any trial and potential
cure or good treatment it does take years to develop.

Now, they have also said that they are very cautious in telling people
that this is a cure, because it only has been tested in mice and many
times when these positive drugs are tested and work successfully in
animals it doesn't even get to the stage of trials for humans as they
fail to meet the standards in testing prior to clinical trials for
humans.

Now that was all the negative side to what I heard. The positive side
was heard that The National Cancer Institute and the Federal DRug
Administration was going to give this every priority to see that
progress is made thru the testing and trials if that should occur.

The other side to a postive note, that there were some doctors to go so
far as to say that this would be a cure, and that cancer cures can come
as early as the year 2002. That is what was said on this CNN discussion.

But much caution was taken into consideration and explained so that the
hopes and dreams that a cure or a drug that can cure did not give false
hope to those very many who are seeking hope. I know there are many
that  are seeking those trials now, but the doctors said after a
question was raised that "why can't this be in a clinical trial to those
who are considered terminally ill now...and the reply was that the drugs
are not ready for human testing and that if it were to be given now
without that being for human testing it may wind up exacerbating the
problem and may have considerable negative effects to the human in which
it was being administered. Their concern is for the health and well
being and testing and clinical trials without being ready for human
testing would not be humane". This is what the doctors related.

So all in all my friends, much will be said about the new treatments and
there will great anticpation into their progress in the next year or so.
I am hoping and praying their sincere conservative approach will be more
speedily addressed and come to fruition as a cure for all.

God Bless
marty auslander
---- End included message ----

Re [MOL] Endostatinangiostatin trials

Antigenics Receives Patent Covering the Use of Heat