Re: [MOL] juvenile angio fibroma [01249] Medicine On Line

Bill Dudley wrote:

> My 13 year old nephew was just diagnosed with "juvenile angio fibroma".  It
> is on one side of his face and apparently wrapped around his facial bone
> structure. The Doctors feel extensive surgery is the only solution.
>
> Can you tell me what juvenile angio fibroma is, the normal treatment, and
> the long term outlook for a patient who has it at 13?
>
> I'm anxious to receive your reply.
>
> Thank you,
> Bill------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bill,

I can't help you with this specific cancer but do know that Memorial
Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City has an excellent head and
neck group.  I speak from exparience as a patient.  If reconstructive
surgery is necessary, they have an excellent plastic surgery team and do
unbelievable prostetic work when surgery is not practical...I've
benefited from both.

You can check them out at 	http://www.mskcc.org

Also, MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is excellent (I don't know
where you live).  They can be contacted at 	Http://www.mdanderson.org

For more information, try calling the National Cancer Institute at
1-800-4CANCER or on the web at 	http://rex.nci.nih.gov

The University of Penn. has a good cancer site at
http://cancer.med.upenn.edu

You have contributed to this site with your information on PET scans and
now I am happy to assist with this information.  Keep a positive outlook
and faith in your God that all will go well for your nephew.  Children
are very preceptive and know the truth almost instinctively.  Please stay
in touch with us and let us know how you and he are doing.

God Bless and I'll keep you in my prayers.
John Lehner
lehnerj1@ix.netcom.com