Re: [MOL] Introducing Russ [02974] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Introducing Russ

Hi Russ,

Welcome to this group.

I have no experience with lung cancer since what I had was breast cancer.
However, I was one of the people who talked about memory loss. I had
radiation therapy after surgery. That lasted for about 7 weeks.

It sounds to me as though you are doing all the right things and the
shrinking of the tumor is a positive thing. I hope the MRI shows a brighter
picture.

As to the memory loss. I think maybe it has to do with focus. I believe
that when something like cancer hits us, it replaces other things we have
considered to be of primary importance in our immediate focus. Our
priorities change and we simply don't have time or energy for all we have
to take in concerning our illness in addition to all we normally have been
dealing with; so something has to go.

As the extreme tiredness; I would say that is entirely normal. If
radiotherapy is anything like radiation therapy, it may seem like not much
is going on, but on a cellular level a lot is happening and that affects
your energy level. I became very tired toward the end of radiation therapy
and it hung on for about a month or more after radiation was over.

What are you  doing your PHD in? Doing this kind of research requires
focused energy. You have had lots of distractions. Since the computer is
not your field you may have a more relaxed attitude toward learning it than
towards your PHD studies. Remember, attitude is an important factor in
learning.

). Does this mean computer technology requires less
>brain power than study, or does it use a different part of the brain (i'm
>only half-joking!)?

Maybe both are true. Certainly there are projects that call on the left
side of the brain more than on the right and vice versa. Maybe that part of
the brain which enables you to work with computers is freer to function.

>most of the time i feel OK (i can laugh and joke - especially about my
>condition), but sometimes i feel sad, scared, angry. sometimes i just don't
>know what to do, and at other times i'm completly un-motivated.

I can empathize with all of these feelings. Even though I didn't have as
difficult a time as you have had, I find that having had cancer once leaves
me feeling very vulnerable. It becomes easy to question why I should be
involved in things I have always done. It has also given me a different
outlook on what is really important in life.

>i've just realised that one of the benifits of a chat line like this is
>simply the opportunity to write down what i'm feeling/thinking. though i'd
>like a response, some part of me already feels lighter, happier.

You are absolutely right. Writing your feelings does help. As much as many
people fight against having to write (I teach writing), it is very
therapeutic.

Happy New Year.

Liz