Re: [MOL] Lil!/Mam [02633] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Lil!/Mam

Oh!  I get it, just like me "house mother" !  LOL!....I know you will do a
find job; but won't it feel like going from one home to another to work?  I
mean, like cleaning and cooking, Yikes!  We have something similar here in
the U.S.  My girlfriend worked for one and absolutely loved it.  I hope you
will enjoy it as much as she did and certainly wish you all the
luck....your friend, lillian

----------
> From: W & M Rose <FEARME@bigpond.com>
> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> Subject: Re: [MOL] Lil!/Mam
> Date: Monday, December 28, 1998 5:47 AM
>
> Yes, no, yes, no! lol Lil!
> Stockton Centre is a large residential centre for people with
developmental
> disabilities, mostly severe (used to be called mental retardation). We
have
> a number of units (in the old days they were 'wards') in which around
24-36
> people live. We also have seven cottages, which have 7-10 people in them,
> and one staff member per shift. The Cottage residents are probably the
> highest functioning in the centre. They can do many things for
themselves,
> but need supervision and some assistance. We do the cooking, washing,
etc.
> All the things you would do in your own home, in the cottages. The units
are
> run differently, there are nursing staff, domestic staff (for cleaning
and
> cooking), and the clients are more dependant. Some also have severe
physical
> disabilities, due to chromosome disorders, various syndromes, congenital
> rubella, and so forth. We have a number of people with severe cerebral
palsy
> too. Some of our residents have behaviour problems, and can be quite
> violent...either to themselves, or to others. This presents a challenge.
> find that the most difficult to work with, are those who persistantly
injure
> themselves, it can be very difficult to stop.
> Working in the cottages will be quite interesting, you are on your own
> (there is support if you need it for emergencies, of course), and you
> basically decide what you will do for the day, what programs you will
run,
> what you will eat, etc. Most of the clients go to day areas, some work in
> sheltered workshops, some go to activity centres. This gives you a chance
> take one or two clients shopping, etc. and have more one to one
interaction.
> Whew! this post has gotten quite long, but I don't know of any quicker
way
> to explain :)
> Take Care my friend, I hope this clears it up for you.
> Love Mam

What
> >is wrong with the patients, are they elderly or what?  Your friend, lil
> >----------
> >> From: W & M Rose <FEARME@bigpond.com>
> >> To: mol-cancer <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
> >> Subject: [MOL] Lil!
> >> Date: Sunday, December 27, 1998 2:05 PM
> >>
> >> G'day my friend,
> >> I just logged on for a minute to download mail, and I must have just
> >missed
> >> you. Ah well, such is life. Am heading off to work in a minute. It is
now
> >> 6am. (Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!) Whinge, whine, etc......!
> >> Regarding your comment, "if you can't be careful, name it after me"
> >> Are you looking to head the naughty, naughty list next year, or what?
LOL
> >> Take care dear one,
> >> Love Mam

Forum