Re: [MOL] Mam, Kathy. [02614] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Mam, Kathy.

Hi Jeanne,
The lighting of the Xmas Pudding is a tradition my family shares as well.
What nationality are you. We're Scottish and that is their tradition. I'll
have to get my mom's recipe as she is the only one who has made it and I
would like to carry it on in my own home as the kids think it is so cool!
Let the flames begin,
Caroline

----------
> [...]
>
> Yah, let me know how it goes, I did finally get an appointment to see my
> internist who has done several colonscopies on me since a colon
resection.
> He never mentioned it. Mam did though and I wonder if the use of it is
> entering mainstream medicine. The incident is so isolated that I wonder
if
> the diarrhea I had was simply due to stop or whether the
> acidophilus/bifidus combo, worked. We aren't supposed to self-medicate
but
> I have read somewhere where the digestive system is not as efficient as
we
> grow older. Health food stores stock digestive enzymes of various kinds.
> will have to ask my health food store lady about these some day.
>
> PS. We had a free range turkey at James brother's place on Christmas Day.
> Very moist and tender and very tasty. I was too polite to ask what his
cost
> - it was immense. Cathy made the Christmas pudding for his meal and ours
> for boxing day. The kind you light for show. No it was not Martha, but
her
> grandma's recipe.
>
> Winnie the elderly 3 time cancer was there. She never has had chemo
> (radiation) but had a hysterectomy and then years later, both breasts
> removed (radical). She is on the same regime I am with Dr Hoffer
> (megavitamin). She is a vegetarian. Looked quite spiffy in rose blouse,
> black crepe pants and velvet shoes.
>
> Ruth, a computer science undergrad was their with her finance, a computer
> programmer. They met over the internet! It is real strange, they even
look
> alike. Doron (sp) lives in Tel Aviv (sp) and think he would rather live
> here. He would certainly have no problems find a job.
>
> Today, more turkey, turned out beautifully, I was just house cleaner,
dish
> washer and general dogsbody. Cathy did the whole thing herself. Even used
> the family silver ware. Used a whole bottle of Napoleon brandy on 3
> puddings. Lit up nicely.
>
> Talk to you later, going to early mass. Jeanne
>

> At 10:20 AM 12/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Jeanne:  Very interesting.  Since my chemo, which ended last May, I've
had
> >intestinal problems galore -- mostly in the form of diarrhea.  This
happens
> >almost every day, and it's really getting me down.  Plus the fact that
my
> >control isn't what it used to be.  This is embarrassing, but
unfortunately,
> >it's a fact.  I'm afraid to eat much except when I'm at home, and even
then,
> >it's a worry.  I wonder if these two things would help me.  The
> >anti-diarrhea medication helps some, but I don't want to have to depend
on
> >it.  Something natural would be preferable.  Acidophulus and Bifidus?
I'm
> >going to try it.  Thanks!  Kathy

Bifidus
> >> suggest that L. casei and Bifidus each may decrease the risk of colon
> >> cancer. These are only preliminary studies, but they are interesting."
> >>
> >> Comments:
> >> This is interesting alright. I had an attack of "stomach flu" for five
> >> days
> >> with nausea and cramps. I was taking the maximum of antidiarrhea meds
> >> without much effect. Finally, I asked my lady at the vitamin shop what
she
> >> would recommend. She suggested that I take acidophilus and Bifidus
tablets
> >> to try re-establishing the flora in the bowel. Also to take the whole
> >> bottle before stopping. It worked and I noticed while taking the tabs
that
> >> the intestinal discomfort that I had when eating high fibre foods was
gone
> >> as well. I am very sensitive to the peristatlic (sp?)movements of the
> >> bowels since I had a colon resection. I am still not sure if the
diarrhea
> >> would stopped with the meds that I was taking anyway. Anyone have
stories
> >> to tell about the health benefits of taking acidophilus or other
digestive
> >> aids? Our local market stocks milk with acidophilus and bifidus
cultures
> >> which is worth noting. Marty, I noticed that Barb takes acidophilus.
Any
> >> comments?
> >>
> >> ???? Jeanne

Forum