[MOL] Fwd: LUKE 19:41-44: THURSDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION [02580] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: LUKE 19:41-44: THURSDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION

---- Begin included message ----
Subj:	 LUKE 19:41-44: THURSDAY'S GOSPEL FOR REFLECTION
Date:	11/18/98 12:51:23 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:	mtuazon@ix.netcom.com (Manuel Tuazon)
Reply-to:	early-word@cin.org
To:	early-word@cin.org

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (To the Greater Glory of God)

For: Thursday, November 19, 1998

33rd Week in Ordinary Time

From: Luke 19:41-44

Jesus Weeps Over Jerusalem
--------------------------
[41] And when He (Jesus) drew near and saw the city He wept over it,
[42] saying, "Would that even today you knew the things that make for
peace!  But now they are hid from your eyes.  [43] For the days shall
come upon you, when your enemies will cast a bank about you and
surround you, and hem you in on every side, [44] and dash you to the
ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave one
stone upon another in you; because you did not know the time of your
visitation."

Commentary:

41-44. When the procession reaches a place where there is a good view
of the city, they are disconcerted by Jesus' unexpected weeping.  Our
Lord explains why He is weeping, by prophesying the destruction of the
city which He loved so much: not one stone will remain on another, and
its inhabitants will be massacred--a prophecy which was fulfilled in
the year 70, when Titus razed the city and the temple was destroyed.

These historical events will be a punishment for Jerusalem failing to
recognize the time of its visitation, that is, for closing its gates to
the salvific coming of the Redeemer.  Jesus loved the Jews with a very
special love: they were the first to whom the Gospel was preached (cf.
Matthew 10:5-6); to them He directed His ministry (cf. Matthew 15:24);
He showed His word and by His miracles that He was the Son of God and
the Messiah foretold in the Scriptures.  But the Jews for the most part
failed to appreciate the grace the Lord was offering them; their
leaders led them to the extreme of calling for Jesus to be crucified.

Jesus visits every one of us; He comes as our Savior; He teaches us
through the preaching of the Church; He gives us forgiveness and grace
through the sacraments.  We should not reject our Lord, we should not
remain indifferent to His visit.

Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries".  Biblical text
taken from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate.  Commentary
made by members of the Faculty of Theology of the University of
Navarre, Spain.  Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin, Ireland.  Printed in Hungary.