[MOL] Good words, Carla, John, all [01975] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Good words, Carla, John, all

>From Robert Fulghum, a good man

Recounted from a trip between OZ and Athens.
The author was sitting with an Australian carpenter and an Indian college
porfessor in hydrology.The subject of God came up (the author is a
minister) and the carpenter declared his theology had a lot to do with
fleas and a dog.
Arguing if God exists is like fleas arguing over whether the dog exists.
Arguing over the correct name of God is like fleas arguing over the name of
the dog. And arguing over whose notion of God is correct is like fleas
arguing who owns the dog.

Later on the professor remarked that the name of God varied from country to
country, the holy books differed as did the rituals and dogmas for the
route to heaven. So certain are the followers of of the different religions
that they gladly go to war with each other in defense of their own beliefs.
He spoke of water his speciality. "Water is everywhere and in all living
things - we cannot be separated from water. No water, no life. Period.
Water comes in many forms, liquid, vapor, ice, snow, fog, rain, hail. But
no matter what the form, it is still water. It is what it is.
Human beings drink water from many vessels - cups, glasses, jugs, skins,
their own hands, whatever. To argue over what container is proper for the
water is crazy. The container doesn't change the water. Some like it hot,
some iced, some fizzy, some with stuff mixed in with it - alcohol, coffee
whatever. No matter. It  does not change the nature of the water.
Never mind the name or the cup or the mix. These are not important. What we
have in common is THIRST! Thirst for the water of life. As it is with
water, so is it with God. I don't know much about God, said the professor.
All I know is water and that we are momentary waves in some great
everlasting ocean and the waves and the water are one.
God Bless, Jeanne