[MOL] News from Sloan Ketttering [01497] Medicine On Line

[MOL] News from Sloan Ketttering

Hi Folks,

I used to be a subscriber to mol.  I've been off for some time but keep
up with several members, like Carla, John, Lillian and Marty.  I
subscribed to get the MSKCC online newsletter and I wanted to share with
you.  No, I'm not resubscribing to mol - it's just too much with trying
to work, going for treatment and going for complementary care
treatments.  But I will share with you what I get from Sloan in the
hopes that there is information that you'll find helpful.

Love,
Barbara

Lately@MSKCC
--------------------
What's new at
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and its World Wide
Web Site
---------------------
http://www.mskcc.org

November, 1998

Welcome to Lately@MSKCC!

Many women today are using fertility-enhancing drugs. As
their use has increased, so has concern about whether or not
these drugs contribute to the development of ovarian cancer.

There is some reason, at least theoretically, to think they
might. We know that high levels of some hormones can
contribute to an increased risk of ovarian cancer, and many
fertility drugs boost levels of those hormones in a woman's
body. Also, doctors and researchers suspect that ovulation
may help set the stage for ovarian cancer. Each time an egg
is released, it results in damage to the ovary. The repeated
injury and healing, which requires cells to divide, provides
opportunities for damage to the DNA of ovarian cells that
could lead to cancer.

On the other hand, we know that pregnancy helps protect
women from ovarian cancer. Research has shown that this
effect holds true for pregnancies achieved with the help of
fertility drugs.

Ovarian cancer is very dangerous because it is usually not
detected until it has spread, but it is a relatively rare
disease. Studies show that the increased risk of ovarian
cancer from fertility drugs, if there is an increase, is
about two- to three-fold--which would translate into a 4 to 5
percent lifetime risk for women exposed to the medications.
In a report about fertility drugs and ovarian cancer by
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center gynecologist Dr.
Mercedes Castiel, she writes: "Women must be informed of the
known and potential risks and must weigh these against the
physical and psychological benefits of pregnancy."

More research will be needed to determine if there is a
link. "While it appears that there is a risk and that this
risk is explained by the theories of ovarian cancer
development, no studies have proven a definitive causal
relationship," writes Dr. Castiel.

Our Web site has the full text of Dr. Castiel's report.
http://www.mskcc.org/document/castiel.htm

If you are a health-care professional who will be in the New
York City area on February 26 and 27, 1999, you might want to
attend Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's Continuing
Medical Education Seminar "Gynecologic Care of the Cancer
Patient."
http://www.mskcc.org/document/mpcme.htm

WHAT'S NEW AT MSKCC.org
------------------------

*CancerSmart Lecture Series*
If you're in the New York City area, you can learn more
about cancer and your health directly from the Memorial
Sloan-Kettering experts. MSK doctors and other experts will
speak and answer questions on a wide range of cancer-related
topics throughout the year. Check our Public Events Calendar
for times and dates and make your reservations on-line.
Upcoming lectures include:

Tuesday, November 17, 1998-
Prostate Cancer Treatment Options: Issues and Answers
Moderator: Dr. Peter T. Scardino
Speakers: Dr. Howard I. Scher and Dr. Michael J. Zelefsky
http://www.mskcc.org/document/calevent.htm#prostate

*Arsenic Shown to Induce Cancer Remission*
Most of us know arsenic as a dangerous poison, but MSKCC
researchers, following up on work originally done in China,
have shown that arsenic can also help save lives. Treating
patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL), the
researchers were able to induce remission in 11 out of 12
patients.
http://www.mskcc.org/document/pr981105.htm

*Skin Cancer Overview*
We've expanded our Skin Cancer Overview to include more
information about basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell
carcinoma, and melanoma. You'll also find a list of recent
research publications by MSKCC doctors and scientists.
http://www.mskcc.org/document/wicskin.htm

*AIDS-Related Cancers Overview*
When cancer occurs in someone who is HIV-positive, effective
care means managing two difficult conditions at the same
time. This new Cancer Overview features in-depth information
about the two most common types of cancer in patients
infected with HIV.
http://www.mskcc.org/document/wicaids.htm

You can subscribe to Lately@MSKCC at
http://www.mskcc.org/document/lately.htm

Note: The information in Lately@MSKCC and at
http://www.mskcc.org is not intended as a substitute for
medical professional help or advice but is to be used only as
an aid in understanding current medical knowledge. A
physician should always be consulted for any health problem
or medical condition.