Re: [MOL] endometriosis/luprin [00785] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] endometriosis/luprin

I have spent many hour's researching for a drug by the name of luprin and
variations such as lupron to no avail.  I found one called luprin; however
that was a drug for diaheraa.  Are you sure you have the correct spelling
and or the correct name?  I also came accross the Endometrosis Care Center
which I felt may have some information on your daughters condition for you.
 Please advise me as to the spelling of the drug you would like information
on.  Your friend, lillian

The Endometrosis Care Center

Introduction

The Endometriosis Care Center at Dunwoody Medical Center is formed around
four principles:

•Recognizing subtle disease in all its manifestations. •Removing all
endometriosis while preserving a woman's organs. •Performing pathological
examination on all excised tissue. •Treating women with respect as partners
in health care.

Recognize Disease

Historically, medical textbooks teach that endometriosis looks like black
powderburns. However, many studies have shown that black lesions are not
even the most common. Clear, white, red, yellow, and grey implants can also
occur. A surgeon who looks only for black spots can miss significant
disease. Our medical staff has many years and hundreds of cases of
experience in disease recognition. At the Endometriosis Care Center, we
consider any abnormal area of the peritoneum to be endometriosis until
proven otherwise by pathology.

Remove Disease

Once endometriosis is recognized, we remove it through video laparoscopic
laser excisional surgery. Although this is a meticulous, highly detailed
operation, most women are treated on an out-patient basis. Dr. Albee uses a
CO2 laser to dissect the disease, and Dr. Lyons prefers the YAG laser.
Either laser is very effective when used this way, and blood loss is kept
to an absolute minimum. Superficial endometriosis of the bowel can also be
removed with the laser. A general surgeon performs full bowel resections,
when needed.

Pathological Exam

All excised tissue is sent to the Pathology lab for examination. You have
the security of knowing exactly what was found. Surgical techniques such as
electro-cautery and laser vaporization destroy the tissue, making
microscopic evaluation impossible. That's why we don't use them. We use the
laser as a cutting tool, and not as a means of tissue destruction.

Respect Women

Too often, women with endometriosis have been dismissed as neurotic
whiners. Our questions were ignored and our challenges unanswered. Here at
the Endometriosis Care Center, our goal is to treat you with respect. We
ask that you become partners with us in health care.

To that end, we promise you openness. Your records are always open to you.
Complete copies of your operative, pathology, and staging reports are
mailed to you as soon as they are available (most women have already left
Atlanta in the few days after surgery it takes for these records to be
completed).

Conclusion

We welcome your questions and comments on any aspect of our program. By
letting us know what's working well and what needs improvement, you can
contribute to the quality of the Endometriosis Care Center for the women
who come after you.

[Return to Table of Contents]

[welcome][the care center][the medical center]
[dr. albee][dr. lyons][ms. laux]
[basic q and a][references][send info]
[links][where to reach us]
[ecc site with graphics]