Re: [MOL] non- small cell lung cancer/Sandy [00535] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] non- small cell lung cancer/Sandy

Sandy, I am truly sorry to see that your father has NSCLC and is in much
pain.   Oh how I wish I could tell you how to deal with it, but I can't.. I
can only share a little of my heart with you...

I am a NSCLC survivor.  Today is my one year anniversary of surgery from
having my right lung removed.  I have been calling it my one year birthday,
for I am one year new...

Now the first question that you will ask is if I am cured.  The answer to
that is no.  There is no cure for cancer known right now, however I am a
survivor and I am grateful for that each and every day..

I was so stunned when I first found out that I had a tumor..  I was just
determined that it would not be malignant, but it was.  I thought of it as
going into an operation where I would wake up and be fine and then I found
out that the percentages were 30-40% for my living 5 years.  Well, that is
when I got moving..

I read alot of books and the easiest and most concise for me to begin with
was Greg Anderson's "Fifty Essential Things to Do When the Doctor Says it is
Cancer."  I also read Bernie Siegal, Anne Frahm and many more.. In fact, the
reading is ongoing for me.. I read every single day.

The most important thing for me was my faith.. The more I thought about it,
the more I realized that though I have a really good oncologist, he is not
God.  I believe that I will not be called home until God is ready for me and
then nothing will stop me from making that date.  While I am here however, I
am working with supplements and other alternative medicine areas to help in
my survival.

I really searched my heart and lifted up prayers to God asking for direction
and this was where I found my peace.  I did not have chemo as follow up
therapy to the surgery.  I am not an advocate of turning down treatment, it
is just that God put it in my heart not to.  Now, whether that was because
it wouldn't have done any good, or because I didn't need it.. is yet to be
revealed to me, but I did have as much peace as one can have once they have
begun on the cancer journey.

You notice that I say journey..  Cancer is not like getting a sickness and
then getting well.. Atleast not as of this day.  Cancer is the beginning of
a change in our lives..  I have often described it here as a roller coaster
ride; one day slow and easy and the next downhill fast, around a corner and
then through a tunnel of darkness...  The cancer journey is very much like
the most frightening roller coaster ride you will ever be on.

You did not give any of the details about your father other than NSCLC stage
IV.  What type does he have?  Sqamous, adeno-carcinoma?  What if any other
organs has it been found in?  Any lymph nodes?  When was he diagnosed and
what previous treatment has he had?  I know that there are many here who
would be happy to help you to understand it better and obtain more research,
but more details would help...

As I close, allow me to send you a hug..from someone who understands the
cancering journey.  God Bless you and please feel free to email me at
blessu@worldnet.att.net  direct, or on the mol line...  One thing I need to
tell you is that your father is the one who will have to make the ultimate
decisions about his treatment and his feelings must be respected...
Carla