Re: [MOL] Introduction - Chris [00428] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Introduction - Chris

Hi Chris,

Do not know the answers to all your questions, but do know that if they
have staged him to stage iv, then only certain treatments are expected.  I
am stage iv non small cell lung cancer, also in my left lung and I am
considered inoperable.

Nonetheless all of us here share your concerns and our thoughts and our
prayers go out to you.

You came to the right place - a place for you - not just your father - to
receive comfort and support.

Suzanne

At 04:19 PM 11/2/98 EST, you wrote:
> [...]
>or all of his left lung. The growth in that lung was the size of a small plum
>and it located toward the bottom of his lung.  We were still assured (at the
>time) that because the cancer was the slowest-growing type that he had an
>excellent chance of living 5-6 years with radiations and further surgery. The
>surgeon agreed at the time that radiation is more effective than chemo for
>non-small cell cancer.  [Incidentally, we hadn't anticipated any of this
>before 2 weeks before this surgery, he'd had a bronchioscope and it revealed
>no cancer!  But immediately after that, he lost his voice!  Drs. say it has
>nothing to do with scope -- tumor presses on the nerve?????] My father awoke
>and was alone for TWO HOURS until someone could finally explain why his right
>side hurt instead of his left!!!!  Before he had an explanation, his priest
>walked in at the same time we did to do "Annointing of the Sick" (to someone
>75 yrs old - that's LAST RITES.)  He must have been in absolute terror for
>more than 2 HOURS thinking that they had mistakenly removed his only good
>lung! Then the following day, his pain meds ran out and he had wait for
>SEVERAL HOURS until they brought him more.
>
>He then was scheduled for scans: bone, brain, and abdomen (at the wrong
>hospital, of course!)  But thank God, they all came out clean.
>
>Now for some reason, they claim because the cancer spread (which we already
>knew on Sept 30) they are using only chemo and not radiation.  My father
is 75
>years old and radiation would be easier for him and it is extremely effective
>on his type of cancer - than chemo is.  The opposite would be true for small-
>cell cancer!  The Dr. admitted to my sister (on the phone) that the large
>tumor will grow and eventually attach itself to the ribs and walls of the
>lung...great!  That's because chemo isn't EFFECTIVE!!!!
>
>To make matters worse, my father will not hear any of this or get a 2nd
>opinion.  I gathered together all the prayers that came in to me from the
>various prayer groups I joined.  I also printed out special prayers to the
>Saints (novenas) and added a letter of love and support from me.  I dedicated
>all this work to my mother, who died at the age of 43 in 1974.  He hasn't
even
>looked at it!
>
>Well that's it folks!  Gives you an idea who am I, what I'm about, and what's
>going on in my life.  I am 46 years old. I live in Pa with my grown son,
who I
>raised alone after my divorce when he was 4 yrs old.  He is now in college
(at
>25 years old!) and living off the "fat of my land" -- i.e. I AM supporting
>him!  I'm sure you can sense how angry and outraged I am, but believe it or
>not, I haven't lost my faith or my sense of humor.  It's just that my father
>is the one who always taught me, "God helps those who help themselves."
Well,