Re: [MOL] Benefit for Lisa's boys/Update on the Roses [02747] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Benefit for Lisa's boys/Update on the Roses

Dear Jeanne,
Wayne and I were born and bred in and around Sydney. We moved to Raymond
Terrace, which is near Newcastle about 4 years ago. We have a lot of
friends and much of my family still living in Steak and Kidney. Were does
your friend live? The celebration was held in Syd. in a little club called
the Henry Lawson, out near Penrith. I am actually going to be there for two
weeks next month, I have a clinical placement at Nepean Hospital in Penrith
for my med/surg rotation.
Love to you
Mam

----------
> From: james kissinger <jkissing@uvic.ca>
> To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
> Subject: Re: [MOL] Benefit for Lisa's boys/Update on the Roses
> Date: Saturday, 31 October 1998 23:51
>
> Mam, what a wonderful memorial. Did you say Syndey?
> Was the celebration held there? Where are you? I know you are in
> Australian. One of my friends there is one of my best sources of jokes.
>  Jeanne
>
> At 07:52 PM 10/29/98 +1100, you wrote:
> >Ok Lil,
> >Here is the info. on the benefit night that was held in honour of Lisa
and
> >to raise money to help her parents bring up the boys. There were around
300
> >people in attendance on the night, many family members and friends who
we
> >had not known were coming. There was also a piece in the local paper
about
> >it which attracted quite a bit of attention from business people. There
was
> >entertainment by an aussie band from the Henry Lawson Club (where it was
> >held), an auction, the auctioneer read the article in the paper, rang up
> >and offered his professional services for free. One of Lisa's old
> >neighbours bought 4 items (over $1.000.) at the auction, then donated
three
> >of them back immediately, to be auctioned again! Raffles were run during
> >the course of the night, and the dinner was very nice. They had a large
> >glass bowl, with plastic 'raffle tickets' on the bowl was the message
'Buy
> >Lisa a Drink' for every dollar, you got a raffle ticket for a cruise on
> >Sydney Harbour. It was very popular. It was a lovely night, yet very
> >difficult. It was just the kind of thing that Lise would have loved, and
> >kept expecting her to 'turn up'! Still, a dear friend mentioned that
> >perhaps it would give some closure, and I think she may be right. These
> >things take time, I know. To end on an up note, the night raised over
> >$17.000 (shhh. Wayne's parents don't know yet, it is a surprise) which
will
> >be presented to Peter and Margaret at a special B.B.Q, organised for
them
> >and the boys. I think it is this weekend. Peter gave a short speech to
> >thank everyone at the end of the night, which was warm, and honest. It
is
> >very difficult for them, one minute getting ready for retirement, the
next,
> >bringing up three of their grandchildren. They are managing pretty well
> >though, it is amazing what people can do when they have to. The boys are
> >coping remarkably well, we are seeing some behaviour problems with the
two
> >younger ones, but that is to be expected. Anyway, that is our update.
Take