[MOL] Tuesdays Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul... [00995] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Tuesdays Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul...

Good MOrning My Friends,

One of the first messages I wish to post is this daily helping of
profound and wonderful entities of thoughts of HOpe that have provided
much love and hours of reading in the therapy for spiritual and
psychological arena of healthy beliefs for the heart and soul. HOpe
these daily messages will also provide you with similar profound love
and HOpe.

God Bless
marty auslander

                  Run, Patti, Run

       At a young and tender age, Patti Wilson was told by her
  doctor that she was an epileptic. Her father, Jim Wilson, is a
  morning jogger. One day she smiled through her teenage braces and
  said, Daddy what Id really love to do is run with you every
  day, but Im afraid Ill have a seizure.
       Her father told her, If you do, I know how to handle it so
  lets start running!
       Thats just what they did every day. It was a wonderful
  experience for them to share and there were no seizures at all
  while she was running. After a few weeks, she told her father,
  Daddy, what Id really love to do is break the worlds long-
  distance running record for women.
       Her father checked the Guiness Book of World Records and
  found that the farthest any woman had run was 80 miles. As a
  freshman in high school, Patti announced, Im going to run from
  Orange County up to San Francisco. (A distance of 400 miles.)
  As a sophomore, she went on, Im going to run to Portland,
  Oregon. (Over 1,500 miles.) As a junior Ill run to St. Louis.
  (About 2,000 miles.) As a senior Ill run to the White House.
  (More than 3,000 miles away.)
       In view of her handicap, Patti was as ambitious as she was
  enthusiastic, but she said she looked at the handicap of being an
  epileptic as simply an inconvenience. She focused not on what
  she had lost, but on what she had left.
       That year she completed her run to San Francisco wearing a
  T-shirt that read, I love Epileptics. Her dad ran every mile at
  her side, and her mom, a nurse, followed in a motor home behind
  them in case anything went wrong.
       In her sophomore year Pattis classmates got behind her.
  They built a giant poster that read, Run, Patti, Run! (This has
  since become her motto and the title of a book she has written.)
  On her second marathon, en route to Portland, she fractured a
  bone in her foot. A doctor told her she had to stop her run. He
  said, Ive got to put a cast on your ankle so that you dont
  sustain permanent damage.
       Doc, you dont understand, she said. This isnt just a
  whim of mine, its a magnificient obsession! Im not just doing
  it for me, Im doing it to break the chains on the brains that
  limit so many others. Isnt there a way I can keep running? He
  gave her one option. He could wrap it in adhesive instead of
  putting it in a cast. He warned her that it would be incredibly
  painful, and told her, It will blister. She told the doctor to
  wrap it up.
       She finished the run to Portland, completing her last mile
  with the governor of Oregon. You may have seen the headlines:
  Super Runner, Patti Wilson Ends Marathon For Epilepsy On Her
  17th Birthday.
       After four months of almost continuous running from West
  Coast to the East Coast, Patti arrived in Washington and shook
  the hand of the President of the United States. She told him, I
  wanted people to know that epileptics are normal human beings
  with normal lives.
       I told this story at one of my seminars not long ago, and
  afterward a big teary-eyed man came up to me, stuck out his big
  meaty hand and said, Mark, my name is Jim Wilson. You were
  talking about my daughter, Patti. Because of her noble efforts,
  he told me enough money had been raised to open up 19 multi-
  million-dollar epileptic centers around the country.
       If Patti Wilson can do so much with so little, what can you
  do to outperform yourself in a state of total wellness?

                       By Mark V. Hansen
                from Chicken Soup for the Soul
         Copyright 1993 by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen