Re: [MOL] Hello from Lee [01647] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Hello from Lee

Dear Lee

This may be rather strange advise, but leave her decision regarding
treatment up to her.  I know this is very, very hard.  Just support
whatever she does.

My grandmother did not know she had maturity onset diabetes until she lost
part of her foot due to gangrene - shen the doctors told here that they
would have to take her leg she refused knowing that she was going to die.
I adored this woman - had lived with her for quite a long time - would have
done anything to change her decision.  Buty she was elderly (79) and I
believe that she had to be permitted the dignity to choose for herself.

I have had 7 chemo treatments - weekly with a couple of weeks off for my
stage IV nsclc and will have 3 more tough ones in the next 3 weeks before
more tests are run to determine how successfull this has been over the last
two months.  I am only 51 and chose to be agressive as was possible.  But
it was MY choice and not someone elses.

My parents are both in their late 70's and both are quite ill - mother on
dialysis, father also has maturity onset diabetes and lost a let to it.
Two years ago he was so bad was sure he would be dead in six months.  Then
he decided to live and my mother didn't want to leave him so she decided to
live.  Two years later we are all still here.

Just support her and love her.

take care,

Suzanne