[MOL] What is a zip drive and how does it work/Christine [00603] Medicine On Line

[MOL] What is a zip drive and how does it work/Christine

A zip drive is just a storage device. On the MAC it is hooked up to the
computer and when a disk is inserted it appears as an icon on the screen. I
just click on it and retrieve what ever I have stored on it. When I want to
store something on it I can either tell the computer to send an open
document to it, or if I have other documents I want to copy to it I just
drag and drop them on the icon. I do not have a zip on my PC but I am sure
when you hook it up it would become a "d" or "e" or "F" drive (depending on
how many you have already). Then you could save or retrieve files from the
disk you have inserted in it just as you would from your "a" drive or "c"
drive. I don't know if you have drag and drop capabilities on your PC but
there has to be a way to transfer files from one drive to another. The
great benefit of the Zip Drive is it holds enough information to store
programs and graphics you don't want cluttering up your hard drive but you
want to have available to work on at times. I understand it is best to move
what ever you are using to your hard drive to work on it then save it back
to the zip and you can dump it off your hard drive. At least that is what I
have been told by fellow MAC users at work. I have worked directly from the
zip with no problem but copying it to your hard drive provides you with the
security of a backup.

Liz P.