From: W&M ROSE <FEARME@bigpond.com>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Date: Monday, August 31, 1998 2:43 AM
Subject: [MOL] Kendall/octreotide

Sender: owner-mol-cancer@a5.inet911.com
From: "W&M ROSE" <FEARME@bigpond.com>
To: <mol-cancer@lists.meds.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:37:52 +1000
Sender: owner-mol-cancer@lists.meds.com

Dear Kendall,
Hi! my name is Marianne, and after reading your query, I looked up
Octreotide in my pharmacology text, this is what it had to say, I hope it
helps and I will keep your Dad and family in my prayers.
Octreotide/ trade name: Sandostatin
Mechanism of Action:
Octreotide is a synthetic analogue of somatostatin. Somatostatin is a
naturally occuring hormone which inhibits the release of growth hormone by
the pituitary. Somatostatin also has an affect on the release of insulin
and glucagon and on gastrointestinal functions and motility.

Pharmacokinetics
Octreotide is poorly absorbed after oral administration and is usually
given by subcutaneous injection or intravenous injection. Peak plasma
levels are lower after subcutaneous administration compared to intravenous
administration, but bioavailability is similar. The kidney is the most
important organ involved in the elimination of octreotide and clearance is
significantly reduced in kidney failure.

Uses
Octreotide is used for the treatment of acromegaly and relief of symptoms
associated with gastroenteropancreatic tumours. It's use in
gastrointestinal fistulae and oesophageal varices is under investigation.
Octreotide is available as a solution for injection in ampoules containing
0.05 mg, 0.1mg and 0.5mg octreotide. The most common method of
administration is subcutaneous injection. In the treatment of acromegaly
octreotide is administered in an initial dose of 0.05-0.1mg every 8-12
hours. Therapy is monitored using growth hormone levels and clinical
response and the dose can be increased to a maximum of 0.5mg every 8 hours
is necessary.

Adverse Drug Reactions
Octreotide is usually well tolerated. The most commonly reported side
effects are related to the gastrointestinal tract and include nausea,
vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and discomfort. Dizziness, headache,
fatigue and weakness have also been reported by some patients. Octreotide
administration has been associated with the development of gallstones.
Subcutaneous injection may be accompanied by pain at the injection site.
Sites of injection should be rotated.

Drug Interactions
Insulin  doses may need to be reduced in diabetic patients receiving
octreotide.

Precautions and Contraindications
Patients receiving octreotide should be monitored for the development of
gallstones, changes in visual fields which may indicate pituitary tumour
expansion, and loss of control of diabetes.

(Reference: Pharmacology and Drug information for Nurses 4th edn. (1995)
Harcourt Brace: Australia).

I hope you find this useful, and perhaps use it to pose questions to your
Dads' Dr.
Mam.