[MOL] Leave it to Lillian to play devils advocate/About Herbs and teas f [02718] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Leave it to Lillian to play devils advocate/About Herbs and teas folks!

"I can't take echinacea because I have
rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease.
People should ask their physicians about
herbs before they take them."

FRANCARTER makes a good point: Because herbs
are "natural," we tend to think of them as
"safe." But many herbs can be hazardous in
large doses, and not every herb is safe for
everybody. Echinacea is just one example.
Because it boosts the immune system, it can
be dangerous for anyone with an autoimmune
condition, like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus,
or asthma, where the immune system mistakes
the body's own cells for invaders.

If you have questions about herbal remedies,
join our chat each Monday night at 11pm ET.
Better Health alternative medicine expert
Dr. Elizabeth Burch is on hand to answer
your questions:

http://www.ivillage.com/chat/fullschedule/0,2114,E,00.html#monday