No Subject [02631] Medicine On Line

No Subject

Hi Judy,
I just read your post to Joicy. I have a question. If there was no cancer
in the lymph nodes why are you taking chemo? I had a lumpectomy in July and
my lymph nodes were free of cancer, too. I am taking 7 weeks of radiation
therapy, but I am not having chemo. Opinions differ I guess, but my
radiation therapist said that the statistical survival difference in my
case is not significant enough to justify the chemo. He does feel it is
worth it to take tamoxifen, however. I think I would discuss this with the
oncologist. Also, why did they have to do two surgeries. They took out the
surrounding tissue and the lymph nodes at the same time they took the lump
when I had mine done. Had you had a biopsy (needle core) before your
surgery? That is how they determined my lump was malignant so I had the
whole surgery at one time.

I am sure there are oncologists who would encourage me to have chemo, but
based on the reports I received and the opinions of a couple of my doctors,
I will choose not to have chemo unless, down the line somewhere another
lump develops. I don't want any more treatment than is necessary. By the
way, radiation does not make you lose your hair.

Liz P.