Re: [MOL] The Meaning of Serenity [02359] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] The Meaning of Serenity

Dear Vicci,
With all that is going on in your life these days, I'm not surprised
you're feeling kind of shaky, dear friend. And when everything is
stirred up, it is so hard to find perspective. Unfortunately, there is
no easy fix -- though folks will always hunt for it in meds, drugs,
alcohol, money, etc., etc. Speaking from personal experience, I've found
only one source for that kind of serenity: knowing that there is higher
power with a plan... I tried for so long to "do it all" on my own, with
disasterous results. Finally, in desperation, I gave up and literally
issued God a challenge: "Ok, you think you can do better with my life?
Go for it! But I'm keeping notes!" And I did -- and he did. I mean, I
really put him to the test -- as things went wrong, or I needed help,
I'd make note of it in a journal, and then watch to see how he'd resolve
it. What amazed me is that I was always willing to settle for mediocre
solutions, when God wanted to give me the best -- his answers always
exceed my expectations.

Oh, the stories I could tell... But the real test came 3 years ago as I
sat in a bath, dicovered a lump, and knew I had breast cancer. And in
spite of it, like the mother bird in the story, I felt an impossible
serenity, "the peace that passes all understanding," as the scriptures
describe it. And that feeling stayed with me, even during the worst of
it, with bad reactions to chemo, etc. We have a very powerful God. It's
tough turning things loose to him, but wow! the things that happen when
you do!

Anyhow I share this with you as a friend, with love and concern for all
you're going through, and the hope I haven't offended. You and your
family continue to be in my prayers. Love, Joicy