Re: [MOL] options - - Jim [01408] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] options - - Jim

Dear John
Thanks for your most considered response.  I guess it is much easier for me
 being a step or two removed from the situation as against having the
disease. However, providing support was difficult when I was not as sure of
the options as I am now.  I must admit having more information (thanks
molers and the net at large) and knowing she has a doctor who is better able
to interpret the results of the various tests and recommendations by the
surgeon/onc has provced most helpful.  It seems to me that information is
power and allows the person to have more control over their life, whatever
decision they may make, rather than blindly following the directions of the
'professionals'.

regards

Jim

>>> John <lehnerj1@ix.netcom.com> 19/08/98 5:46:04 >>>
Dear Jim,

Please understand that it is not that we are afraid of the options, it is
just so darn hard deciding what to recommend.  It has everything to do
with individual immune system, overall health and stamina, etc.  She may
be the spryest 80 y/o on the face of the planet, but chemo is toxic and
can nock a fit youngster for a loop.  Everyone reacts differently to
treatment and I think you have to be guided by what she and her physician
think.  I think the fact that she still smokes and drinks (if I got your
original message right) is a testimoney to her determination to "do it
her way" and would probably turn some people off to treating someone who
wants to keep some "vices" in life.

I would suggest that the true effects of treatment be discussed with her
and her oncologist as well as the effect of not treating...what will the
last days of life be like.  I would also explore what role hospice could
be in those final days, weeks or months.  We are all going to come to the
end of our time here and we all need to prepare for that eventuality both
spiritually and emotionally.  That is why, once you have been touched by
cancer, each and every day is such a precious gift from God.

I will keep you and her in my prayers.  God Bless.
John
Jim Laffer wrote:

> Tracy, thanks for your response and your support.  You are right, not a
lot
> of response.  Perhaps its an option people prefer not to think too much
> about on MOL, or maybe, those who are considering it seek support
elsewhere?

> We have found a most understanding (and I think highly skilled) doctor
who
> is prepared to discuss rationally the options including pain management.
He