Re: [MOL] Joanne-adenocarcinoma and Jim-options [01233] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Joanne-adenocarcinoma and Jim-options

Hi, Sheila/Suzanne, to my understanding, a plueral effusion (fluid between
the pleura, the lining of the lung and the diaphragm) is fluid that has
seeped in from somewhere else (lung, liver, gallbladder?) and means the
cancer whatever is metastized. I believe that the fluid ordinarily drains
into the abdomen. The primary unknown means that they can't find the
original tumor or that it has disappeared. If the doctors don't know where
the original tumor was, they don't have a proper protocol in curing the
disease. So they go by statistics and call it incurable. Once you display
some symptoms, say a lung tumor, they can treat it as a lung tumor,even tho
it may be actually a metastesis, not the primary. A primary tumor may
provide some protection against the growth of mets and that is why mets
will often grow when the original tumor is removed. Please correct me if I
am wrong on this. I had the drainage done in Dec 97 and they did not remove
all the fluid as the tube blocked. A talc was inserted and it was explained
to me that it would encapsulate the remaining fluid and allow the lining of
the lung and the diagphragm to "stick" back together.God bless, Jeanne