[MOL] Re: First To Know Bulletin For August 17, 1998 [01223] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Re: First To Know Bulletin For August 17, 1998

Dear Family,
This is a news service that I belong to and thought that this weeks issue
would be of interest...especially the two lead reports on drug/juice
interaction and the one on pain management.
God Bless.
John

webdoctor@ivanhoe.com wrote:

> Medical Breakthroughs reported by Ivanhoe Broadcast News
>  First To Know Bulletin from President Marjorie Bekaert Thomas
>  Week of August 17 - August 23, 1998
>  http://www.ivanhoe.com
>  Phone: 407-740-0789 * Fax: 407-740-5320
>
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  And Now For Something Completely Different
>
>  If you like surprises, you'll love our site this week. It's filled
>  with unusual, unexpected solutions to relatively common health
>  problems. Who among us, for instance, hasn't experienced back pain or
>  chronic pain of other sorts?  You'll find out how super-heated radio
>  waves can literally dehydrate certain types of back pain and how
>  experimental toxins from the lowly snail relieve high-intensity
>  chronic pain unresponsive to other treatments.
>
>  If you seek treatment for a soft tissue injury, your physical
>  therapist might use myofascial release (MR). It's pressure applied by
>  the hands and arms to permanently lengthen the muscle (myo) and
>  interwoven connective tissue (fascia). It's not massage, but is
>  catching on all over the country. Finally, the most surprising news to
>  me: the many millions who take high blood pressure medicines called
>  calcium channel blockers or cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins
>  should steer clear of ... grapefruit juice! I won't give you the
>  details here, but will say this much - they're juicy.
>
>  And there's more where that came from...
>
>                   Marjorie Bekaert Thomas, President
>                                mthomas@ivanhoe.com
>                                Ivanhoe Broadcast News
>                                http://www.ivanhoe.com
>
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  What's New For the Week of August 17 to August 23, 1998
>
>  Latest Reports
>    o SLEEP SOUNDLY DURING SURGERY: Afraid of waking up on the operating
> table?
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/stream/sleepsoundlyduringsurgery.html
>    o RSD HOPE: Snail toxin may relieve chronic pain...
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/stream/rsdhope.html
>    o NEW TREATMENT FOR SJOGREN'S: Stimulates moisture-producing glands...
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/stream/newtreatmentforsjogrens.html
>
>  News Flash (Updated Daily!)
>    o Keeping Fit By Keeping The Faith
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/newsflash.html#faith
>    o Lower Blood Pressure With Diet
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/newsflash.html#blood
>
>  This Week Only
>    o Special Topics:  Grapefruit Juice Dangers
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/thisweekonly/specialtopics.html
>    o Dr.'s Q&A:  Joe Martin, M.D. -- Radiowave Pain Relief
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/thisweekonly/doctorsqa.html
>    o Sports Medicine:  Myofascial Release -- Toward Mainstream Therapy
>      http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/thisweekonly/sportsmedicine.html
>
>  Consultation Rooms -- http://www.ivanhoe.com/net.Thread/bin/discussion.pl
>    o Genetic Testing:  Do We Want To Know?
>    o Breakthrough Medical Web Site Listing

>  of the home page. Follow instructions on Survey page.  Do not reply to
> [...]
Title: Ivanhoe's Medical Breakthroughs - Special Topics...Health, Medicine, treatment, doctor, cure, cancer, heart, diabetes, arthritis, sports medicine, plastic surgery

[Medical Breakthroughs]

Special Topics

Grapefruit Juice Dangers
Television News Service/Medical Breakthroughs
©Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc. 1998

Drinking a glass of grapefruit juice seems like a healthy way to start the day. However, the bittersweet juice may pack more of a punch than you thought.

Patricia Patterson enjoys juice with her morning medications. That's why she is surprised to learn grapefruit juice can boost the strength of certain drugs. "I didn't know grapefruit juice could interact with certain medications," she says.

James Talano, M.D., a cardiologist at Tulane University Medical Center in New Orleans, La., says it's a chemical in the juice. "There are many drugs that are broken down by the liver. The use of grapefruit blocks the breakdown of the drug by the liver."

An abnormal heart rhythm, muscle damage, even death can result from dangerous levels of drugs that enter the bloodstream.

Dr. Talano says grapefruit juice can affect drugs like the antihistamine hismanal; high blood pressure drugs known as calcium channel blockers; statins, a group of drugs used to lower cholesterol; and many others that treat a variety of ailments. The best advice is to check with your doctor.

"Just drink grapefruit juice in moderation," says Dr. Talano. "One glass a day is not going to kill you, but if you take four, five, six glasses a day or you're on a grapefruit diet, that can have a detrimental effect."

Eating half a grapefruit isn't quite as potent as a glass of juice. Doctors do warn you to check the contents of fruit juices, which can include grapefruit.

Patricia takes no chances. She sees her doctor regularly, has her blood monitored for drug interactions and for now sticks with orange juice.

For more information on grapefruit juice and dangerous drug reactions, you can call the Food and Drug Administration at 1-800-532-4440.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Robyn Ekings, Director of Public Relations
Tulane University Medical Center
Office of Public Relations, SL26
1430 Tulane Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112-2699
(504) 588-5221

FDA MedWatch
(800) 332-1088

Is it okay to mix medications?

[Footer]

Archive of Back Issues || Search by Keyword || Map || News Flash || First-To-Know Bulletin
Latest Reports || Extras Order Form || Who Is Ivanhoe? || Related Links || Consultation Room
This Week Only || Sponsors || Your Hometown News || Awards || What's New

webdoctor@ivanhoe.com
Copyright © 1998 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles
of the Health On the Net Foundation