Re: [MOL] Joanne-adenocarcinoma and Jim-options [01113] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Joanne-adenocarcinoma and Jim-options

Dear Shiela,

My husband was diagnosed in May of this year with nsc/adenocarcinoma
of the lung Stage lV.  He was a smoker but had quit in November of
97.  He is only 42 years old and we have 4 children.  This has been
a very difficult time for us.  He had gallbladder surgery in Dec.
of 97 and had shortness of breath at that time.  We were told that he
had pneumonia while he was in the hospital.  They took x-rays at that
time but never saw a tumor.  Five months later he was diagnosed with
stage lV lung cancer.  I don't know but I think somebody dropped the
ball in his case.

He is recieving Taxol and Carboplatin every three weeks and is on his
fifth treatment Wednesday.  He  is scheduled for 6 total.  Then they
are talking about radiation.

We have looked into many different alternative treatments.  We always
seem to come back to the traditional ones though.  After his chemo
we are planning to look into sterotactic body radiosurgery.  There is
several hospitals that do this procedure.  It is a nonevasive type of
treatment.  Pinpoint radiation that does not damage nearby tissues.

My husband is really doing well.  He has not lost any weight yet and
is in very little pain.  A little back pain no and then.  His cancer
has spread to the chest cavity and ribs.  The only time he really
doesn't feel good is after chemo.  It usually takes him a good week
to ten days to recoup from it (leg and joint pain, dizziness,
grogginess, sores in the mouth, pimple like rash on chest,back,and
arms from medication).

His cancer is also inoperable.  I have noticed a lot of people talking
about draining fluid from the pluera.  They have not done this to my
husband Angelo.  I intend to ask the Oncologist why.

If I can help answer any questions feel free to e-mail me any time.
God be with your brother and his family in this difficult time.  I
will pray for them and you.

God Bless You,
Mary