Re: [MOL] Talking to kids about sex [01080] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Talking to kids about sex

My boys  are 7 and 10 and my daughter is 11. I had a talk with my daughter
last summer about her "changing body". Good thing I did because she got her
first period about 4 months later. (I also gave her some books so she could
read them at her leisure). In her grade 5 class last year, they had "the
talk". The public health nurse came in 3 times to discuss things with them.
The boys and girls were together. All three of my kids pretty well know all
these things. We take every opportunity at home to discuss sex, birth
control, aids, etc. TV brings up many opportunities for discussion. What we
are trying to teach them now is the emotional side and common sense side,
like don't have sex with a boy because he says he loves you, don't kiss and
tell, watch your reputation, etc. My mother was very open with me and I
guess, in turn, that is where I get it from. I actually enjoy discussing it
with them so, Jean, don't have any fear about the topic. Just like
discussing cancer, be honest and straightforward. I found it has brought me
and my daughter closer, like girls sharing a secret. Heck, I'll come down
and talk to your kids! LOL.
Christine