Re: [MOL] 5Fu memory dificit [00708] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] 5Fu memory dificit

I am researching both synthroid and FU 5, need  little mor time Sandi, will write
tomorrow, Your friend, Lillian

Some common drugs may affect, OR BE AFFECTED BY
     SYNTHROID®. If you are taking ANY drugs other than
     SYNTHROID, you should tell your doctor

     If you have diabetes, your dose of insulin or oral antidiabetic
     agent may need to be changed after starting SYNTHROID. You
     should monitor your blood or urinary glucose levels as directed
     by your doctor and report any changes to your doctor
     immediately

     If you are taking an oral anticoagulant drug such as warfarin, your
     dose may need to be changed after starting SYNTHROID. Your
     coagulation status should be checked often to determine if a
     change in dose is required

     Your doctor or your pharmacist will be able to answer any
     questions you may have regarding drug interactions
Associated Press

                   . CHICAGO (AP) - For more than six years, a drug manufacturer
                   suppressed research that could have helped an estimated 8
million
                   Americans save $356 million per year by using cheaper
alternatives to
                   the company's synthetic thyroid hormone.

                   Knoll Pharmaceutical Co. finally threatened to sue to halt
publication
                   of a study that could topple its near-monopoly on the $600
million
                   retail market for the drug, the study's lead author told The
Journal of
                   the American Medical Association. The journal published the
research
                   on Wednesday for the first time.

                   Knoll said it had scientific objections to the study.

                   With the drug industry spending millions each year on medical
studies,
                   the episode raises troubling questions about the companies'
influence
                   over research findings on which their profits might depend.

                   "We don't know whether things have been locked up in
laboratories
                   that could save lives," said Dr. David Blumenthal. of
Massachusetts
                   General Hospital. "That is probably overdramatic, but I do
think there
                   is probably some delaying ... slowing the progress of science."

                   Knoll's product, Synthroid, controls 85 percent of the market
for
                   synthetic thyroid hormone, used by people whose thyroid glands
have
                   been damaged by disease or surgically removed.

                   Thyroid hormones regulate metabolism, the chemical activity in
cells
                   that releases energy from nutrients or fuels the manufacture of
other
                   substances, such as proteins.

                   Synthroid dominates the market in part because it was the first

                   synthetic thyroid hormone. Natural thyroid extracts had been
                   marketed for years before federal rules required a scientific
                   benchmark for the drugs' effectiveness.

                   In 1987, Synthroid's manufacturer - at the time, Flint
Laboratories -
                   commissioned a study of the drug. Betty J. Dong, a pharmacist
at the
                   University of California at San Francisco who had published
findings
                   suggesting Synthroid might be superior, was hired to compare
                   Synthroid to three similar drugs.

                   Her study showed clearly that the cheaper competitors - one
                   brand-name drug and two generics - worked just as well as
                   Synthroid.

                   Over the next four years, the company tried to discredit the
study and
                   prevent its publication, the journal said in an editorial.

                   After demands for revisions and a university investigation that
found no
                   problems with the work, the study was sent to the journal and
slated
                   for publication in January 1995.

                   Twelve days before it was to appear, Dong suddenly withdrew the

                   manuscript, saying Knoll had threatened to sue because her
contract
                   prohibited publication without the manufacturer's OK.

                     1997 Associated Press