[MOL] nutrition [00269] Medicine On Line

[MOL] nutrition

Another interesting article; shows ways we can think we are "doing
good," but actually not getting the nutrients we need...Love, joicy

--------------
Cutting Fat From Diet a Cancer Risk
    [08/03/98; Associated Press]

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Dieters, beware! If you're trying to shed
pounds simply by cutting fat, you're risking cancer, heart disease
and other health problems if you don't balance your diet to include
crucial nutrients found in other foods.

Women, who tend to watch their waistlines more than men, more
often fall into the low-fat trap, particularly if they're cutting
fat grams by munching on reduced-fat goodies rather than carrot
sticks, nutrition experts say.

``They'll eat these snack foods, where they ought to be eating
(fresh vegetables and fruit rich in) vitamins and minerals,''
says Paul A. Lachance, professor of food science and executive
director of the Nutraceuticals Institute at Rutgers University.

The full article can be found at:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/ap/us/story.html?s=v/ap/980803/us/s
tories/dangerous_dieting_1.html