Re: [MOL] More on pain related to Aredia and advanced breast cancer [02520] Medicine On Line

Mary Zimnik wrote:

> A press piece which ran on the Associated Press wire (more on
> Aredia and pain related to advanced breast cancer...)
>
> "Drug eases bone pain of advanced breast cancer
>
> BOSTON (AP) - A bone-protecting drug can significantly reduce pain and
> fractures in women with spreading breast cancer, a study found.
>
> The drug, called Aredia or pamidronate, slows the destruction of bone
> that is a common and painful complication of some forms of cancer.
>
> Aredia has been on the market since 1991 for other cancer-related bone
> disorders. It was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in July
> for treating breast cancer that has spread to the bone.
>
> Researchers said the medicine might also be useful for the skeletal
> complications of some other tumors, including cancer of the lung,
> kidney and prostate.
>
> The study, led by Dr. Gabriel N. Hortobagyi of M.D. Anderson Cancer
> Center in Houston, was conducted on 382 women at hospitals in the
> United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
>
> The drug delayed the start of bone complications in these women by six
> monthss.
>
> The research was paid for by Ciba-Geigy Corp., which makes Aredia. The
> findings were published in today's issue of the New England Journal of
> Medicine.
>
> Copyright Lubbock Avalanche-Journal 1996"
>
> ________________________
>
> Mary Elizabeth Zimnik
> Office of Public Relations
> Agnes Scott College
> 141 East College Avenue
> Decatur, GA 30030
>
> 404/638-6484
> 404/638-6298 (FAX)
> MZimnik@asc.agnesscott.edu
>Dear Mary,

Just wanted to send a short note of welcome to the mol-cancer web.  Thank
you for your kind and thoughtful contributions and advice. Please keep up
the good work.  I wanted to send you a message when you first shared your
experience with H.S.  I am sorry that your Father is not here to share in
the success of your Mother.  Know that he is present aany the time you
recall his spirit.

God Bless You and your Mom and Happy New Year!

John Lehner
lehnerj1@ix.netcom.com