[MOL] Re: Aredia, breast-to-bone cancer and pain, etc. [02518] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Re: Aredia, breast-to-bone cancer and pain, etc.

Steve, my mother (breast-to-bone cancer) has been on Aredia for
several months (since she fractured a shoulder blade.) She has
experienced no additional fracturing, although the bone cancer is
widespread. She is also on Hydrazine Sulfate (doctors cannot
prescribe, but you can purchase on your own, to fight the
wasting-away syndrome and boost immune system). She attempted chemo,
but it negatively impacted her white blood cell count too dangerously
and we stopped treatments.
   My mother -- quite miraculously -- is almost pain-free. She will
occasionally take a Darvocet and Tylenol -- but that's all. She feels
strongly that holding back from using Morphine or other narcotics is
the best route -- so when she does need something stronger, it will
have better impact. And besides, she doesn't like feeling doped-up
all the time. (My father died Nov. 1 from lung cancer and we placed
him on a Morphine-drip only towards the end -- to ease his sleep, but
not necessarily for pain.)   I have run across others on Aredia who
have experienced a variety of benefits (weight gain, reduction from
pain, etc.) Definately worth investigating.
   I have also noticed that more than anything (as crazy as it may
sound), my mother's amazing attitude and strength help ease her
discomfort. I think when she can openly talk about her disease,
discomforts, fears (especially about death and suffering), it
releases a lot of anxiety that only would have made her more
unhealthy. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel in my heart that facing the
reality of what has invaded her helps her take back "control" to some
measure of her body. And having those closest to her facing it
with her means the most. Mary Zimnik