Re: [MOL] response to Barbara [02502] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] response to Barbara

> Barbara, I too am having some issues with my family.  I can't know all
> of what yours are, but I can sure empathise as I am sure alot of
> others can.  I can tell from reading messages from Marty that he and
> Barb established what their marriage needed to be for survival, but I
> wonder if they had other family members to deal with....
>
> Mine are first and foremost with my parents and then my husband.
> Every time I talk with my mother we end up in an argument.  She
> doesn't agree with the way that I view any of this or what I am trying
> to do to survive it.  I always feel like the little girl who is doing
> something wrong, not the 45 year old woman who is an adult trying to
> survive cancer.  My husband is used to me being the strong one and as
> soon as I tell him what or how I feel or what I question, he either
> asks me a question that makes me feel he didn't listen, or he gives me
> the old "I don't want to put pressure onyou...BUT"....
>
> Today I finally found an oncologist that I am going to stay with and
> one
> of the things that he said to me was that I had to put toxic
> relationships
> on hold for awhile.  I just haven't figured out how to accomplish
> this.  I
> am going to start a couple of journals.  #1 is my cancer journey.  #2
> is
> going to be for my emotions and thoughts.  #3 is going to be a
> gratitude journal.  Maybe the relationships will  be less toxic for me
> if I have arelease for it all.  I learned so many things today, just
> when I thoughtthat I knew it all!  LOL!
>
> I sobered up today as to what I am dealing with and was not happy at
> all that I learned.  I am going to do some research myself and then
> meet again with the oncologist.  I must give him credit for much of
> what he said, one of the things was that he couldn't cure me and that
> there are alot of things that go into surviving and many of those I am
> in charge of.  So my dear friend, I don't have the answer as to how to
> do it yet, but I do know that you cannot let your family bring you
> down or distress you.  Maybe somewhere in this forum, others can tell
> us what they did to keep their attitude, strength and family...in that
> order!
>
> I will get the results of the PET scan tomorrow.  The oncologist today
> told me that I have sort of done things out of sequence.  He said I
> should have had the PET scan done before surgery.  He said I also
> should have had an MRI of the brain done and a bone scan.  Also since
> I now only have one lung, I should have another CT scan.  So I am
> scheduled for these in two weeks.  This oncologist seems to feel that
> for my type of cancer I should have chemo and radiation.  The theory
> behind it makes sense, though I don't want to have it done.  Anyway he
> has told me to go into the National Cancer Institute online and do a
> [...]

I was truly moved by your message to Barbara.  You are a great addition
to this site!  I agree and am so glad that you have an onc that feels the
patient plays a significant role in the recovery process.  Marty and I
have discussed a number of times the effects of toxic stress and the need
to rid our selves of it.  Acceptance and an "Attitude of Gratitude" goes
a long way to accomplishing this.  Do get and read "Don't Sweat The Small
Stuff..." it is truly a wonderful guide to ridding yourself of the old
destructive habits we all carry...it will even protect you against the
stress of we men being from Mars! :=)

God Bless
John