Re: [MOL] Stomach cancer [02487] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Stomach cancer

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Martin Auslander wrote:

> Amanda O'Hely wrote:
> >
> > My mum was diagnosed with an adenocarcinoma of the stomach in
> > November of this year.  She is a widow of 62 with five children,
> > 2 of which are mentally handicapped.  Since then she has had a total
> > gastrectomy and is still recovering although very slowly.
> >
> > After the initial shock I am still trying to come to terms with
> > accepting what the consultant has told me.  The truth is I am quite
> > angry that in the event of a recurrence he has offered NO treatment.
> > He believes this type of cancer cannot be treated successfully with
> > chemo or radio.
> >
> > I have yet to find out exactly what type and grade the cancer is.
> > It's only when you leave the hospital you realise the information
> > given is minimal.  All I know at this stage is that it is the most
> > aggressive type of cancer there is and there is some evidence of it
> > in local lymph nodes which have been taken out!
> >
> > I am due to see the consultant tomorrow with my mum for a follow-up
> > appointment but am very concerned as she has been having bladder
> > problems (urgency to pass urine often) and I'm worried this could be
> > a sign of a metastases.
> >
> > Has anyone any information/advice on aggressive adenocarcinomas of
> > the stomach.  I am determined I will not just stop at his advice!
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Amanda
> >

> > "Whoever fights monsters should       Amanda O'Hely,
> >  see to it that in the process he     Department Of Psychology,
> >  does not become a monster.  And      Hope Hospital,
> >  when you look long into the abyss    Eccles Old Road,
> >  the abyss also looks into you."      Salford M6 8HD.
> >
> >  |||||                       |||||    Tel    061 787 5588
> >  0 . 0   More Than Just A    0 . 0    Fax    061 787 5589
> >    o          Blonde           o      EMail  AOHELY@fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
> >\

Hi Amanda,

Sorry to hear about your mom.  I was in the same situation about a year
and a half ago.  My mom was diagnois with metastasize gastric cancer.  She
didn't discover it until her lymph node in her neck swell up.   Anyway, at
the time the doctors wasn't giving us much hope but an uncle of mine In
Taiwan is involved with gastric cancer research suggested an aggressive
treatment with methotraxa and 5Fu and leucovorin.  Before even having
surgery.  So my mom went throught six months of chemo and the tumor
disappear then when it reappear again about two months after they stop her
chemo then they remove the primary cancer site.  Since then she has gone
throught another eight months of chemo and she seem to be doing okay so
far.  She just got another CT scan today but last one about two months ago
show everything to be clear.  So I think your course of action would be to
find out exactly what stage your mom's cancer is and if metastasized then
to what extend and find a treatment method, conventional or not then begin
as soon as possible.  Whenever surgery is done ona  tumor you actually
increase the chance of spreading it to other places.  So since surgery is
done already find a acceptable method of treatment then start right away.
As for the recover from gastrectomy it will take awhile.  It took my mom
about three months to recover from a partial gastrectomy.  Well, hope
things goes well for your mom!  Best wishes!!!

good luck,
    kwun......
				   \\\|///
                                  (  @ @  )
     |                           Kwun-Hui Ho                        |
     |      University of Chicago, Dept. of Biochem. & Mol. Biology |
     | 920 East 58th Street         Phone: (773) 702-1345           |
     | Chicago, Illinois 60637      Fax:   (773) 702-0439           |
     |                              Email: kwho@midway.uchicago.edu |