Re: [MOL] myelofibrosis [02482] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] myelofibrosis

Mabottar wrote:

> my husband was recently diagnosed with myelofibrosis. he is 49 and always was
> in good health.  there is so little information.  I need to know what clinics
> around the country have doctors that specialize in this disease.  I would also
> like to read on more case studies. we live in central new york and I feel that
> treatment here might not be as aggressive as in other areas.  any information
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> mary ann

Dear Mary Ann,

Please know that you have come to the right place for help and support.
The first and most important thing is to remain calm and know that cancer
is a beatable disease.  I am living proof of that.  It is important that
you both keep positive attitudes through the journey you are about to
take.  The diagnosis is the first step.  The next one you are taking now
in reaching out for help and information.

The National Cancer Institute (NCI) provides a toll free # to get
information on any type of cancer.  Call 1-800-4CANCER and someone will
help you with information on the latest treatments and where they are
being done.  They will mail information to you.  Ask for all the
information they have, both on Cancer in General, including diet, and on
the specific cancer that your husband has.

Some other sites on the internet to go to are:

	NCI Cancer Information Web at	http://rex.nci.nih.gov
	Cancer Notes On The Net at	http://www.cancernews.com
	Medicine On Line at		http://www.meds.com
	NCCS Guide To Cancer Resources at
		http://www.access.digex.net/~mkragen/non-java.html

US News & Word Report reted Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New
York City as the number one cancer hospital in the US.  That is where I
had my surgery and after care and I happen to agree that for me and my
outcome they were great!  You can visit them on the internet and get
information about them by going to	http://www.mskcc.org

Dear Mary Ann believe me when I say that you and your husband are
starting a journey that may seem scary and is only because of the
unknown.  Gather as much information as possible, get second and third
opinions and stay in touch with all of us on this web site.  Both Ron,
another wonderful cancer survivor and I are in New York, so you have at
least two of us close at hand to help, guide, and support you.  Take it
one step at a time, have faith in your God and keep up hope that it all
will work out.  All any of us really has is the gift of today.

God Bless You both and please keep in frequent contact.

John Lehner
lehnerj1@ix.netcom.com