Re: [MOL] Stomach cancer [02480] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Stomach cancer

Martin Auslander wrote:

> Amanda O'Hely wrote:
> >
> > My mum was diagnosed with an adenocarcinoma of the stomach in
> > November of this year.  She is a widow of 62 with five children,
> > 2 of which are mentally handicapped.  Since then she has had a total
> > gastrectomy and is still recovering although very slowly.
> >
> > After the initial shock I am still trying to come to terms with
> > accepting what the consultant has told me.  The truth is I am quite
> > angry that in the event of a recurrence he has offered NO treatment.
> > He believes this type of cancer cannot be treated successfully with
> > chemo or radio.
> >
> > I have yet to find out exactly what type and grade the cancer is.
> > It's only when you leave the hospital you realise the information
> > given is minimal.  All I know at this stage is that it is the most
> > aggressive type of cancer there is and there is some evidence of it
> > in local lymph nodes which have been taken out!
> >
> > I am due to see the consultant tomorrow with my mum for a follow-up
> > appointment but am very concerned as she has been having bladder
> > problems (urgency to pass urine often) and I'm worried this could be
> > a sign of a metastases.
> >
> > Has anyone any information/advice on aggressive adenocarcinomas of
> > the stomach.  I am determined I will not just stop at his advice!
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Amanda
> >

> > "Whoever fights monsters should       Amanda O'Hely,
> >  see to it that in the process he     Department Of Psychology,
> >  does not become a monster.  And      Hope Hospital,
> >  when you look long into the abyss    Eccles Old Road,
> >  the abyss also looks into you."      Salford M6 8HD.
> >
> >  |||||                       |||||    Tel    061 787 5588
> >  0 . 0   More Than Just A    0 . 0    Fax    061 787 5589
> >    o          Blonde           o      EMail  AOHELY@fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
> >\
>
> Dear Amanda,
>
> I am so concerned, when there are many, yes many treatments available
> for all types of diseases that medical teams will not at least say to
> you, "we are limited to what we can administer, you may wish to seek
> other opinions".  I know they won't say that to you because they don't
> want to pay for those opinions. But what your Doctor may mean is they
> are limited to what they can administer. Doesn't mean that there aren't
> treatments available to your Mum.  So, I would call the National CAncer
> Institute, I see you are in the United Kingdom.  I am also e-mailing
> some web sites for the N.C.I. to get infor on their clinical trials and
> I would call them at 1-800-4cancer to receive information about
> comprehensive hospitals in the U.K. for second opinions.
>
> Also, yes, clinically some type of cell may be considered to be
> aggressive, but every individual is different in composition and I have
> learned that aggressive cells react differently in all human nature. I
> am not a doctor but one who has experienced this as I have known
> [...]

Dear Amanda,

I would just like to add my support to the comments made by Marty.  Your
Mum's outlook and attitude will play an important part of her journey to
recovery.  As a survivor of stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma, I can attest
to the importance of belief in the FACT that you will survive cancer to
actually being able to win the battle against cancer.  As long as there
is faith and the will to fight, there is hope in victory.

You, as a care giver, will need support yourself and the best place for
it is this website.  So keep coming back here to let us know how you and
your Mum are and don't hesitate to ask for our help.  Continue to seek
other medical opinions if possible.

God Bless and stay positive.

John